1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Injector pump freak out

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector pump freak out

So I fried my Bosch ve. I got water in the fuel from our farm tank. The truck ran fine for a few months. One day it started fine and I went down the road about 10 miles when I came to the first red light and let off the accelerator it started surging. I put the truck in neutral and reved it and it went back to normal idle. I pulled over and drained the filter. The truck kep this up off and on for several weeks. I know I should have drained tank and cleaned fuel system but I didn't. Finally coming home one day last week it started surging after I let off the accelerator coming to a red-light. I did my normal rev to clear it but this time the engine took off. It was such a high rpm that I though was gunn a blow fur sure. I was in heavy traffic and as luck would have it the light turned green about the same time the engine took off. I was still rolling so I dropped er back into drive and a shot off to the edge of the road. I killed the ignition and luckily the engine stopped. It didn't start again so I drug er home. I know that the water in the ip was the issue as I have drained the tank and found nasty fuel, rust, sludge etc.
So my question is does anyone know What may have caused the runaway ? And is it fixable in frame or should I start pulling the pump?
Many thanks

Old 01-04-2012, 08:38 PM

No really, my thread doesn't have coodies.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

water would not make it almost run away. pull the charge air line and inspect for oil coming from the turbo to the intake. that would make it try to run away

Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

pull the pump and get your check book out we rebuild them starts at 700 if its just a rebuild if there are parts that need replaced it adds up REAL fast i would look for another 1st gen and buy it for parts

Old 01-06-2012, 12:10 PM

I did inspect cross over tube for turbo oil leak
Now I pull my check book out.