1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

New to site with auto trans problems.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to site with auto trans problems.

Hey guys, New to discussion forums, but need some advice on something I am sure was a common problem for many in the past. Just got a 1989 D-350, 87000 miles, with non OD automatic transmission. I was told the park pawl was broken off before I bought it. What I found out when replacing tail section the main case was cracked also, through the sprag. The 727 for these old Dodges (with Cummins) are pretty scarce, and spendy. 8 or 9 hundred bucks plus good core haha. Plus most likely another 5-8 hundred for a rebuild. Is there a better of at least a cheaper option? The old girl is in very nice shape but I don't feel like doubling the cost of my investment and not increasing the value of my truck. I am sure this has been covered before but looking through the site I can't find an answer. This is not my first diesel,or first pickup, but my first diesel pickup. Merry Christmas and thanks for any advice.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

I would upgrade it to a 47RE from a 2nd gen w/lockup torque converter. But that's going to cost even more. Any way you decide to fix it, you're not getting away low cost for a transmisison transplant.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Diesel Fan

What sort of control, wires and otherwise is going to be needed for a swap?

Old 12-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Not sure, never did one. You can probably find alot of info on that swap in other threads. A 518 is also an option. Maybe pick up a used one cheaper out of a wreck or boneyard. I know you have to at least have something (a switch or POT?) to engage the OD lockup. Shouldn't be too complicated.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks, I'll check around.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Diesel Fan

look here for a trany 1st Gen All Products - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum As for a 47rh/618 swap I did one on my 92 d250 would I do it 2nd time I dont think so its a lot of extra cash the converters are lots more you have to change the starter the motor plate make rear trany mount do a drive line. everyone that drives it loves the way the trany works. but for most part I would have been just as happy with a rebiult 518 till I put the trailer on the back but I still could live without the lockup converter.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

if your not looking to go for big power or something then doing the 46rh/a518 swap would be cheaper. you could use the torque converter you already have if its still good if not the non lockup tc's are way cheaper. besides tranny rebuild parts you would need to get shorter drive shaft, different tranny crossmember or make your own tranny mount, and run some type or switch to control o/d. probly get better mpgs with o/d too. i just put a 46rh in my truck in place of the 727. the biggest problem ive had so far was i ended up needing a spacer between the tranny and the adapter plate because of my thicker flexplate.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the advice, any and all is welcome!

Old 12-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

going with the 47rh from a 94-95 dodge cummins is going to be the best bang for the buck swap because of the o/d and lock up capabilities, your increase in fuel mileage will save you alot of money in the long run,(rust bucket makes 447 approx horse on fuel only and gets 27 mpg). lower rpm's also means all.. the parts that help your engine work including the engine will last longer without needing parts/refreshing. but like they all said they will cost more, at least around here they sell for 700-1000 for a complete used trans thats stock, and at least a aftermarket low stall single disk tc is recomended because they dont do well with the stock one. the rh version is easy to wire up because it just uses a three prong plug that you will hack into for tc lock up and your over drive function, which you can use to split gears, giving you a six speed. the downfalls to the rh vs the re is that the rh has less ribbs on the case (although you can find some late 95 rh's that have more ribs, but its very hard to hurt the case) you will have to modify or make a new cross member also. if you plan on locking it up in first or second its also recomded that you run a billet flexplate and a billet input shaft that will not break under the increased stresssa nd torque being applied. personally im saving up for a 47re transmission(you can stuff 48re parts in them with modifications and the electronic valvebody allows you to run different tunes and adjust shift points and line pressures on the fly. every trans has its good and bad. just really depends on what you want it to do and how you want it to drive and funtion and all.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

thats just stuff i know. i dont know everything, i just do a lot of research into diesel stuff because i love it all.

Last edited by frosty4227; 12-26-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: New to site with auto trans problems.