1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

91 W250... Should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 W250... Should I buy it?

Hi guys, I've come across what a guy is saying a '91 W250, non-intercooled Cummins with the Getrag 5-speed. The build date is 9-90. Truck is kind of rough, definitely needs work in some places. odo says 225k, but when I test drove it, the trip meter wasn't working. I was too busy paying attention to other things to look and see if the actual odo was moving. Rear fender arches have rust holes. Cab floor is pitted through in like two spots. starting to rust a little bit above the windshield. Needs a new seat. Needs tires. Needs either a new vacuum pump or brake booster. None of the gauges work, only the volt meter, speedometer, and the fuel gauge work. Dent/body work on the passenger bedside. Needs a new U joint on the front driveshaft. Truck runs great though. The guy said that it has 100 horse injector nozzles, an "agressive" fuel pin, pump turned up, and an HX35, however when I popped the hood, it was the stock HC1. The rest of the truck is suprisingly clean. Plenty of power and just the right amount of smoke Flew down I-90 straight and smooth as could be, pushed right up to 80mph with no problem and still had more. I was impressed with the ride quality, as it is lifted on 35's with STACKED rear springs. He claims it gets 20mpg, I'm skeptical, but I hope it gets close to that. He said bottom-line price is $4800. I'm just worried about it costing me way more time and money than I really can afford to put into it. This truck will have to get me back and forth to school and work everyday. What do you guys think?

Old 11-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Little steep these trucks run forever taken care of but id say closer to $3500 maybe. And what shape is the' rag in? Stock clutch?

Old 11-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Diesel Fan

He won't go any lower than $4800. Getrag isn't too bad. Obviously has some wear at 225k, but the clutch is less than a year old and plenty stiff. Didn't slip at all.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

i got a 91.5 that is in good shape. that price seems high to me. they are very good trucks.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rust out areas, especially at windshield drip rail area, would say a big NO to me. Even if he did come down a couple hundred, not worth dealing with the amount of rust issues in it.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Diesel Fan

The rail above the windshield isn't too bad. I believe it's saveable. The rest of it is minor work. I can get new bed arch panels for $70 per side. New booster is only about $120. The floor, I can just throw a chunk of sheet metal and tack it up and hit it with bedliner or undercoating. If these trucks really run forever like everyone says, I didn't think $4800 was too bad of a deal..

Old 11-12-2011, 02:05 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFye
The rail above the windshield isn't too bad. I believe it's saveable. The rest of it is minor work. I can get new bed arch panels for $70 per side. New booster is only about $120. The floor, I can just throw a chunk of sheet metal and tack it up and hit it with bedliner or undercoating. If these trucks really run forever like everyone says, I didn't think $4800 was too bad of a deal..
Thats the rust you can see....

He wants WAY to much for a truck with that many miles and that many problems. Keep looking.

Seeing as they don't make "100 horse nozzles" and he lied about teh turbo I would walk away, it's obvious he is not being up front and honest with you.

You can buy a nice truck in better shape and put go fast parts on it for the same price.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RSWORDS makes a good point about the "rust you can see". My experience with many similar era vehicles is if you have multiple points of rust ingress visible in different areas, there is a lot more on the horizon very soon. You will most likely see it creeping in all over the place during the next couple years.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:57 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Shes wore out... If your worried about spending money to make it reliable even though you just listed off a grand in replacement panals and parts and they arent even on the truck yet...

Sounds like your trying to talk yourself into this truck even though in your first post you basically said you want something reliable dont want to stick moeny in... well your gonna be buying a money pit. Sounds like a $2500 truck tops...

I bought my 95 that was in better shape and everything worked for less then that

Old 11-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Diesel Fan

I agree about double the price it should be.

Quick Reply: 91 W250... Should I buy it?