1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

First gen questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First gen questions

First time posting here..Sunday I bought an 89 6bt for $250..For my 78 bronco conversion .Engine had from what I was told was 93,000 on it...Now its missing the head,gear housing,timing cover,VE pump and lines..EVERYTHING else is there,accessories ect..The kid disassembled the complete engine. But kept everything oiled up and clean..This engine looks perfect inside and out...He was going to put a 24v head and P-pump on,thats why its missing,he sold it all...Now to my point..Up to what years of the 12v head are the same as the 89s? I just want to get the factory setup back on this.I still dont know if I want to go with the VE pump or the P-pump.Id like to keep it simple..I deal with cummins direct for the 4bts I work on,and with out the engine serial (on the gear housing thats missing) its a little hard to get an exact price on the correct parts missing..
Now someone correct me if Im wrong,but are the parts the same between the 4bts and the 6bts?as in the Gear housing and lift pump?Im trying to find these parts used and cheap..Ive found a head near me from a 95 for $150..And I dont know if its compatible.ANY info on anything people could fill me in would be a great help..Also If I have posted this in the wrong section,Could a mod put it in the correct place? Thanks Mike

Last edited by MudDrivermike; 11-07-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

i believe the only thing that changed on the early 12 valves was the injection pumps and turbos. dont quote me. but im quite positive everything is interchangable incluting the 4bt's if you can find it P-pump it. and go buy that head if its not warped all to hell. that is a good price.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I just wanted to make sure the head was the same.I really dont like mitch matching parts.As for the gear housing and pumps,Apparently the pumps and gear housings only fit one or the other,as in VE pump to a VE housing and p pump to a P-pump housing..The timing cover itself is the same for either one..And if i can pull the money Im gonna check into that head.the ad says he bought a new one ported and all so this is the stock one off his engine...Turbo wise..It has an HC1 non waste gate housing..Im used to working on the 4bts for stock repairs in the machines..Ive been reading a lot on here about the performance side of the 6bts filling my brain. I thought I read somewhere that the new VE pumps out are just as good as the P-pumps now???? Also Thanks

Last edited by MudDrivermike; 11-07-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added something
Old 11-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Diesel Bomber

you cant get the power from a ve that you can from a p-pump. you can get impressive #'s the h1c is a slow spooling turbo. get a hx35 or wh1c of a 2nd gen and put on there.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Heads changed in 91, when they went from a 9mm injector bore to a 7mm injector bore, and in 94 when they moved some screws around for the second gen applications.

Good luck getting parts for anything other than bone-stock from Cummins. PM member "Snedge" on CompetitionDiesel.com. He sells lots of Cummins parts, and is willing and capable to actually figure stuff out.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Turbo2332--Ill check into it with the 2nd gens ....Hey ive been looking all over this site about how Im going to have my C6 shift since its obviously vacuum controled..Ive seen american thunders thread about his VRV in his bronco...I asked him some questions and after a reply sent him another email,that was almost 3 weeks ago..I called Destroked and the 1 guy in tech was a total moron,,Next is calling ford cummins...Sorry to be all over the place with my posts,but I have a lot of unanswered questions on this...Im just trying to have a game plan in place so this install goes smoothly...

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Begle1
Heads changed in 91, when they went from a 9mm injector bore to a 7mm injector bore, and in 94 when they moved some screws around for the second gen applications.

Good luck getting parts for anything other than bone-stock from Cummins. PM member "Snedge" on CompetitionDiesel.com. He sells lots of Cummins parts, and is willing and capable to actually figure stuff out.

Thanks,Ill do that as things go...Any specific year better than another due to the injector bore?? As for cummins stock parts I have a lift pump on the way from them thats actually for a 4bt,like the ones I work one.They should be the same,at least externally hopefully internal as well,otherwise its a spare for our machines.And I priced out a gear housing from them going by a 4bt...$3 hundred something,Ill try to find a used one. Probably for a P-pump since you guys directed me in a better direction pump wise..

Last edited by MudDrivermike; 11-07-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Diesel Bomber

THE C-6 WILL DIE! gov speeds will be way different for a gasser. you most likely will hate life if you leave that tranny in. i love the old c-6's but your not puttin a big block in her. cheapest would prolly be a NV4500 and a clutch. hell just the adaptor plate for your c-6 will prolly be $1000-$1500 ahh he beat me on the injector bores. LOL

Old 11-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Im aware of what the adapter plate cost already planned on it..American thunder has done the same and he said he hasnt had a problem,He actually had the trans built specificly for a diesel. This C6 has already been rebuilt and was bolted to the 460 that I have that I was going to build..I dont want to change to a manual trans,I hate shifting,did it for a couple years...Im not racing the truck.Just wheeling and maybe a daily driver again..The less mods the better...And putting in an auto like the dodge trans is too long and would screw up my driveshaft angles,Broncos have a short wheelbase and driveshaft as it is.It wouldnt like to be any shorter along with me having a 9 inch suspension lift on the truck.I pretty much baby my truck,even when wheeling it,Im 33 not a 17yo kid anymore,haha..... Also, about the differences in heads..Would putting that 95 head give me any problems,seeing that bolts holes are moved around,or will it bolt everything without any issues??

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Hey does anybody know if the 4bt fuel pumps are the the same as the 6bts? Also I talked to Ford cummins today and they filled me in on a lot of info..The only thing I didnt like is what to do for the C6 to shift...Apparently American Thunder is MIA..I cant seem to get a reply back to ask him how he did his..Ive decided to go with the VE pump..Im not looking for anything special here.Just a stock set up.

Last edited by MudDrivermike; 11-08-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

i dont see an issue with using a 7mm bore head. when the head gasket went on my 89' i bought a new head thats 7mm. didnt have an issue. nice choise with sticking with the VE. it'll be cheaper to get ahold of a VE setup than a p-pump.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Been tied up lately...Well I have found A guy that has a site where he sells good used cummins parts...I have an 89 head,VE injection pump,lines and a few other things coming.Once I get the main and rod bearings and check the rings & a few gaskets I can start to reassemble the engine. Besides the adapters from Ford cummins just a couple small things along with a bigger rad Ect, Im hoping to install this around spring. Also Turbo2332,,I have found out the VRV that American thunder has used came off the Ford diesel 6.9,which also was bolted to the C6...Apparently the difference between my gas C6 and the diesel is a different converter due to stall speed and the governor. I just have to swap those 2 and Ill be good..So at least I got some good news on that..Once I get this set up on the engine stand I can start taking pictures along the way and eventually do a thread on the build and conversion of my truck..Right now the 460 shortblock is on the stand waiting to be sold (hopefully soon) so I can put the cummins on it...

Last edited by MudDrivermike; 11-19-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quick Reply: First gen questions