1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Many questions needing many answers!!!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Many questions needing many answers!!!! Help!

Ok I got a bunch of questions needing some answers so any help would help!

1. When parked and idling it doesn't sound rough or knock any anything its sound awsome but the whole truck shakes...... What could this be? What could fix it?

2. When pulled up at a stop sign in drive with my foot on the brake it acts like it still trys to go like its not going in nuetral i guess you could say but all the gears are fine and OD works but also when i am driving and i floor it it takes forever to get up to speed?? What could it be and what could fix it?

3. I want to put a bigger turbo on but dont know all the numbers and sizes and all that i just want someone to say "go to this website and order this turbo" or "call this number and order this part number or this turbo"

4. I put a used guage cluster in my truck cuz the speedo didnt work and i had put all new speed sensor and reducer gear or whatever all new at transmission and all the wires are good up to the guage and the speedo works but the tach doesnt? Can i take the cluster apart and fix the tach? Can i take the old tach out of my broken speedo and swap them and see if it will work? How could i fix it?

Thanks any help would be awsome!!!!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also the part bout my trans when im at the stop sign and it tries to go it almost lugs the truck down and kills it and sometimes when i put it in reverse and back up and when i stop to put it in drive if i dont do it fast enough it will lug my truck down and kills it? Any ideas?

Last edited by flyingcrodeo; 11-06-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

(1) Idle too low (guess) Harmonic balancer (another guess).

(2) That's the way they stock autos are - crappy torque converters. Also maybe related to (1).

(3) Bad idea. Read, ask questions and learn 1st. Get everything fixed/right before doing upgrades, anyway.

(4) Worth a try. At least take apart and re-check everything's hooked up right.

Also, possibly related to (1)

What is the idle speed sitting at?

Old 11-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

before you go cranking it up get some gauges if you dont have any already and as said above read a little bit about whats going on and what you want to do before you go off and spend the cash for parts that dont work to there full potential

Old 11-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

The idle speed like i put it in drive and take my foot off the brake and it goes up to 15 mph by itself and im thinking the torque converter is just shot and im thinkin about rebuilding the trans with everything that BD offers for these auto trans and then going with upgrades and im also thinking its the balencer too cuz it doesnt loap or anything its a good clean smooth idle and it runs great doesnt use a single drop of oil nothing out of the blow by and gets great fuel mileage and doesnt throw any black or white smoke and its got 200k on it

And im not talkin HUGE upgrades im talkin like a medium turbo and like 20 hp injectors but idk i really dont know alot about that stuff but im just going for 1 step higher than stock not much and this truck is the 91.5 W350 Single Wheel in my avatar pic BTW

Last edited by flyingcrodeo; 11-06-2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Site Sponsor

this why you should read into the mods because a BD trans is not the best option nor is it the best bang for the buck

Old 11-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts
Default That's a Good Indicator

Originally Posted by flyingcrodeo
...im thinking the torque converter is just shot
If the vibration starts after going in gear, and gets worse while holding it with the brake and appyling light throttle, most likely the torque converter is the problem.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well what is? ATS? Suncoast? Other brands? Ive heard equal amounts of goods and bads about all of them so that why hard to choose and ive done reseach on trans options just not turbo's or injectors

Ok well thats what it is then cuz its fine when driving but when im holding it back its rough and vibrating

Last edited by flyingcrodeo; 11-06-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Site Sponsor

If you want a real nice easy build turn up the pump a little (free) get an HX35 off a second gen (about 300$) a set of 90HP injectors (500$) do a BHAF air intake ($60-150) and a mild trans setup with converter ($1300-3000) and a denny T fuel pin (110$)

thats a real common build and you would be real happy with it i think

Originally Posted by flyingcrodeo
Well what is? ATS? Suncoast? Other brands? Ive heard equal amounts of goods and bads about all of them so that why hard to choose and ive done reseach on trans options just not turbo's or injectors

Ok well thats what it is then cuz its fine when driving but when im holding it back its rough and vibrating
Dont run ATS nothing JUNK!

Suncoast makes real good parts for the 1st gens

Last edited by big bad diesel 416; 11-06-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Oh ok sounds great to me! But the 90HP injectors wouldnt be too much would it? Would just some 40's work? Dont really wanna blow my motor or nothing

Old 11-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Site Sponsor

nope I think the 90's would be a real nice addition to the above I ran that setup for 2 years and loved it