1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

amount of paint required

Old 10-14-2011, 01:00 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default amount of paint required

how many quarts of paint would be required to repaint my hole truck one color. its an extended can 8ft bed 1993. here is the color i will be doing

Automotive Paint, Auto Paint, Car Paint

sprays on to look like this color

85 crew cab cummins build... - Page 4 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Old 10-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just fixin to post the samething except askin for a reg cab long bed. The truck up above in my avatar pic i'm going to repaint it the Black Crystal Pearlcoat of the new trucks from like 07 to now I've had 2 that color and love it i think it would look pretty sick! All the paint on the hood now is chipping off and the bed is starting, it was painted 2 year ago and it was a sh*tty job.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Diesel Wrench

im going to be doing all the work on my own, but i will be doing everything the right way and taking my time and i figure about 2 weeks on prepping and one week for paint to make sure it is show room finish and the new black is a beautiful color cant wait to see it done! and i love blue and silver tu tone and cant wait to see the final product!!

Old 10-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

it takes close to a gallon to paint a truck. (with a painter that knows what he is doing LOL)

Old 10-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Lots o primer... Right type and color is just as important as the basecoat. Once you get a nice coat of primer down it shouldn't take more than a gallon you'll gain some volume when you reduce it. Gal of paint will really be more like gallon and a quart or so sprayable. I think my shortbed 84 had two coats with no more than a quart left over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

It depends on if you use a brush or roller.(sorry I just couldn't let that one slip by)Rocky

Old 10-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Diesel Wrench

very funny 1arock. so i should order the paint by gallon and how many courts of primer?

Old 10-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

You going with base coat clear, acrylic, urethane? Color may depend also

Old 10-16-2011, 12:54 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

All depends on how flat you want your body. Easiest way to tell if you have a low or high spot is to lightly prime the truck and then sand it off. Depending where the color stays is where you may want to glaze or redo your filler for the smoothest body line possible. Doing it this way you can go thru a lot of primer , but also a good thing is you can always smooth the primer out with a fine sand paper and have the base coat lay down like glass. Nothing worse than wet sanding out the clear and you spot afew gouges from low grit sand paper where the metallic paint highlights it. Get a gallon of primer, then half gallon afterwards if you use it all up. Primer isn't too expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm painting my truck all myself too, but i've never painted a truck before, i've painted stock trailers, many metal..... Things and a smoker me and my buddy built in high school in FFA that won many shows including the ok state fair. I can paint, i just have no clue at all on primer, filler, sanding and wet sanding.

Could someone tell me what the order is of what you do? I know sand prime sand paint and clear but like the other stuff. And like a lil how to and tips?

Thanks I'll appriciate any help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: amount of paint required