1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Low Power, Fuel Mileage Drop - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a rubber gasket between the compressor of the turbo and the metal neck that mounts to the first boot you can check there you would have to take that clamp off. Have you also just to see, take the air box hose loose from the turbo and look at the comppressor wheel? See if it spins freely by hand. I have had one build up rust on the exhaust side and just not turn had to take the turbo apart and free the exhaust wheel to get it to work.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Check

Originally Posted by regor
There is a rubber gasket between the compressor of the turbo and the metal neck that mounts to the first boot you can check there you would have to take that clamp off. Have you also just to see, take the air box hose loose from the turbo and look at the comppressor wheel? See if it spins freely by hand. I have had one build up rust on the exhaust side and just not turn had to take the turbo apart and free the exhaust wheel to get it to work.
The turbo was free and smooth, had taken the air box hose off just an hour ago.....will check the rubber gasket at the compressor...

When you set up a boost gauge where does it get connected at or how do you set it up to take a pressure reading?

Old 10-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

With the eigine at idle speed and the intake piping to the air cleaner all in place, take a can of starting fluid (either) and spray all the intake piping, intercooler and intake side of the engine including the plates in the head where the last aluminum cast elbow is, if there is a leak the engine will rev due to the either.Rocky

Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a port on the manifold right below the intake neck its hard to see but look there its probably in the sticky note about hooking up a boost guage.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

1arock has a good method there it will tell you where its at

Last edited by regor; 10-14-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Diesel Fan
Default ether test

Originally Posted by 1arock
With the eigine at idle speed and the intake piping to the air cleaner all in place, take a can of starting fluid (either) and spray all the intake piping, intercooler and intake side of the engine including the plates in the head where the last aluminum cast elbow is, if there is a leak the engine will rev due to the either.Rocky
I wondered what you meant about the ether before, now it makes sense, thanks, will have to hit the store for a can....thanks

Old 10-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Is your air dog working correctly? low fuel pressure (flow) can cause this. hopefully you have not hurt the engine driving it so far smoking like that. possible to burn a valve or piston like that. A way to check that is a compression test. First check your fuel pressure, flow and then check your boost. on a stock truck I believe 15 to 20psi. is pretty norm... Well have to be under load to show any boost.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Fuel Pressure

Originally Posted by jwirth
Is your air dog working correctly? low fuel pressure (flow) can cause this. hopefully you have not hurt the engine driving it so far smoking like that. possible to burn a valve or piston like that. A way to check that is a compression test. First check your fuel pressure, flow and then check your boost. on a stock truck I believe 15 to 20psi. is pretty norm... Well have to be under load to show any boost.
I did finally figure out a way to test the fuel pressure, I was at 15lbs so I think it was OK....Don't get me started on the Air Dog....worst purchase of my life. All I could do was hold a rubber hose connected to the fuel pressure gauge at the output line off of the injector pump as tight as I could because there is no way to install a fuel pressure gauge and/or install a fitting to even measure the fuel pressure...

I hope you are not right but after the trip I started the truck for the first time this morning... At first it didn't want to start at all and then I had a weird clacking or noise I couldn't figure out that was not there before. That's all I need now.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Low Power, Fuel Mileage Drop - Help Please

Could have blown a tip off of an injector. Poor atomization will cause low power while pouring black smoke. Ether sounds like a good idea but from my experience even at idle if you take the plug out of the head air flows from the hole, meaning the head and piping is all under positive pressure at all times. Kind of hard to pull ether thru a hole when the system doesn't ever run under a vacuum. It'd have to be a pretty substantial hole for it to work as intended. Lots if soapy water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

a good idea but from my experience even at idle if you take the plug out of the head air flows from the hole, meaning the head and piping is all under positive pressure at all times. Kind of hard to pull ether thru a hole when the system doesn't ever run under a vacuum
Ok pull the clamp from the turbo outlet and turn the elbow away from it first, it will work I've done it.Rocky

Old 10-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Diesels don't make vacuum. That's why the older ones have vacuum pumps and the newer ones are all hydraulic/electric.

Quick Reply: Low Power, Fuel Mileage Drop - Help Please