1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Wishing I never touched the pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wishing I never touched the pump

I changed the governor spring last night. Took the pump top off did the swap. While I was in it I turned up the power screw about two turns.

I got it all back together and it ran and idles fine for about 10 miles. I took it out on a test run all was good until 3000 rpm in fourth. The truck died like I had turned it off. So I dragged it home.

It spins over fine good compression. I cracked the injector line to bleed it. Some fuel came out but not a lot. I then took the pump top off. All looked fine inside. Next up I pulled the fuel solenoid. Tip is a little cracked up but not much. I tried the manual lever on the lift pump. It pumped fine.

I took it apart again. This time I removed the plunger from the shutdown solenoid.

I checked where the lever connects to the control collar it moves freely and is connected.

I buttoned it all up and still nothing.

I had the injector nuts loose and very little fuel comes out of the lines. Two of them had no fuel at all.

Now i am wondering if a piece of debris has lodged in the distributor plunger and is interrupting the flow.

Any Ideas?

Old 09-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by SaskW200
...While I was in it I turned up the power screw about two turns.
There's your problem right there. If anything you need to back the power screw "out" when you have the top off. Probably broke the governor lever putting it back together.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
There's your problem right there. If anything you need to back the power screw "out" when you have the top off. Probably broke the governor lever putting it back together.

Well during reassembly I had the screw completely out. Then screwed it in once the top was on. The two turns is approx its about where the bad threads are about to enter the housing.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by SaskW200
Well during reassembly I had the screw completely out.
Oh. You didn't mention that before.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What about your lift pump?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by sweetv8s10
What about your lift pump?

The manual lever pumps fuel. It's not leaking and the IP was full of fuel everytime I opened it up. But I don't know for sure it's ok.

I sprayed some either into the turbo and the motor fires up for a bit.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you indexed the throttle wrong it would cause it to not run, mine didnt want to start and hardly idled and 80% less power right after i did mine, had me worried but what it was the pin that rides on the fuel pin in the afc got stuck all the way in. I dunno just try to make sure its all back in right

Old 09-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Hold it to the floor and try to start it. You have to have the throttle index pretty far off for it not to run WOT. At the same time if your full power screw is backed too far out it won't run either. How do you figure the full power screw is "two turns" past factory setting? Idk about you but I forgot where "factory" was a LONG time ago. Even then when the screw is backed out entirely for reassembly it's hard to recollect how many "turns" you made with the Screw driver, or even how many "bites" you got on it with the pliers. best way to figure out if you got the throttle index wrong is sound/tension. Remove the throttle lever and turn the shaft counterclockwise. You should be able to hear the spring/gov lever move. You'll also feel the tension of the spring, leave the shaft in this position. Have someone ready to trip the manual shut off. Truck should start and idle pretty high. If it will not run, then try turning your full power screw in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-04-2011, 11:36 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Didn't you post this on the cummins forum?

Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stgenblowingsmoke
Didn't you post this on the cummins forum?

ya but he had to post it here to get some some worth a dam help instead of the nipple twisting that goes on there

back to my hole I go............

Quick Reply: Wishing I never touched the pump