1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

newbie looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie looking for help

i have a 91 dodge was told it was a candian truck when i bought it. i pull a horse trailer and my daily driver. all i want out of the truck is monster torque and it wouldnt be bad to be able to spin a wheel every now and then. any help would be great thanks tommy.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

use the sticky's man, BUY gauges, then turn the pump up. You will either need to beef up the trans if it is auto, or get a bigger clutch, then if it isnt still powerful enough, get ahold of BBD Performance, and they will hook you up with some SDX. then hollar back at the us when you get caught up

Old 09-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Diesel Fan

ok i was wondering if i needed to start there. fixing to order a new exhaust. then turn the fuel up and get rid of my air box sound about right to yall? with just that little bit of upgrade you think i should already look into beefing up my auto trans? or is that little bit of upgrade going to do alot? thanks tommy

Old 09-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The intake and exhaust deffinetly wont hurt your tranny. Some pump mods can be done without harm to tranny. But first you are gonna want to get a pyrometer for sure then boost and tranny temp after. The big gain comes from the full power screw on the pump. Im not going to say much more cause you are gonna want to read up on all the pump adjustments so you are familiar and dont get confused.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Diesel Fan

ok thanks guys

Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

You have an auto or a 5-speed? The great thing about teh 1st gen autos is they usually wont pass enough power to hurt themselves.

Get some gauges because you want to tow. Then work on air in air out, then some basic pump tuning, then injectors/turbo.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Diesel Fan

i have an auto with no overdrive

Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by RSWORDS
The great thing about teh 1st gen autos is they usually wont pass enough power to hurt themselves.
No kiddin'. It took 'em 20 years to figure out how to get a decent torque converter in an auto behind a Cummins.
Originally Posted by coeboy
i have an auto with no overdrive
That's why I'd recommend a torque converter and maybe some (slightly) taller tires. That way you won't hurt anything, it'll pull better and you'll have a good baseline to start making power mods.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Diesel Fan

well got my air box off today and found out my turbo had been changed from the factory one. it is a holset h1c is this an upgrade or just a replacement? its crazy the differance the air box being off makes. exhaust will be monday thanks for everyones help!!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

They're all Holsets. The only difference in the 1st Gens is the non-I/C trucks had the baby H1c.

Quick Reply: newbie looking for help