1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Is this the end for my getrag?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Is this the end for my getrag?

Heres the problem. When I put any kind of strain on the truck going in reverse the transmission makes a loud groaning noise like something locking up inside. I also noticed recently that it started leaking oil out the top where the shifter goes in. I have had problems with the topcover not going into any gears from time to time and I was going to get a reman on but now the trans is doing this. What do you think could be wrong with it? The rest of the drivetrain is practically new except for the rear end.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well i would start by draining the oil, if it looks bad with metal dust/pieces in it i would say yes. And chances are it is coming apart i would stop driving it! You might still be able to salvage alot of the internals and just put a bearing kit and maybe a few other parts in. Chances are the top shaft bearing has gone out allowing it whole thing to woble and grind!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sympathize. I just rebuild my getrag because I had a noise in 5th gear. I put in all new roller and needle bearings. I drove it a week and it quit pulling. Turned out to be my rear end all along. My left carried bearing imploded. I would drain the trranny and carefully inspect the fluid for metal. I would also suggest polling the rear diff cover and inspecting there too.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Diesel Wrench

I just changed the diff oil a couple days ago. The oil looked like chocolate milk but there very minimal metal in it and the magnet had very little shavings on it. I did add a quart to the transmission today and the noise in reverse went away. It still has the slight ratting in neutral but its always done that. The temp also went down from 200-215f to 125-150f driving empty. My conclusion is that I ran low on oil in the trans and burned up a bearing.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Diesel Fan

are u filling at the fill hole? If you are change to filling at the top PTO hole. It'll allow you to put in an extra quart. It'll help keep the bearings cooler. Also sounds like you had water in your rear diff.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Diesel Wrench

I figured thats why the oil looked like that. I guess I should change it more often than once a year. I can usually get a little over 5qts in the transmission using the PTO bolt. The guy before me used 80/90 and only filled it to the plug on the side which didn't help it any.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

does 80/90 really hurt??? i mean i have a 2000 dollar all farm truck and we have lots of 80/90 sittin around... so its what i use...

Old 08-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Diesel Fan

i ran 80/90 in my getrag for years with no problems. The heavier oil from what I understand makes the tranny run hotter. when I rebuilt mine I put 20w50 with STP in it. I wanted thinner but not as thin as factory recommended.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Thinner oil flows better, so reaches the bearings easier. That's why it's spec'd for motor oil or ATF. Don't use gear oil in a G360.

Ever notice the tallish design of that case with the mainshaft up high in the front? It's canted back and down slightly as well. That main bearing is vulnerable.

Leakage, especially normal, slow seeps over time, is what kills these Getrags. Here's how I keep an eye on mine - literally:

http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbu...ics/CTD_33.jpg

I've since moved that sight glass to the top of the PTO cover. One way they leak that is almost undetectable is into the transfer case.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

thats a cool idea!!!! what is it about the getrags that leak? mine never leaves oil on the ground but its always some what coated in oil.

Quick Reply: Is this the end for my getrag?