1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Battery/Volt Guage

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

The only lights that come on when I turn the key on are the oil pressure and water in fuel light, then the WIF light goes off.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

your grid heater aint working then phil.....

Old 01-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Diesel Bomber

been going forever without it.
I'll figure it out one day

Old 01-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 492 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by LOGANSTANFORTH
when it gets cold out, below 40, they should only cycle twice on their own......anymore than that and you got problems......
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, bud.

The grid heaters are set up to cycle once the air temp is at 59* or below. Depending on temp they may cycle one or both. Once the truck is started they may continue to cycle, one, both or alternate between the two until the intake temp is where it needs to be.

Mine will usually cycle one or 2 more times when it's 20* or colder.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Diesel Bomber

1st gens are different I do believe.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Diesel Bomber

I don't own a 1st Gen and haven't had time to look at shortman's and compare to my system but-

Dodgeram.org says-

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/cold_wx.htm

Alldata says-

OPERATION

The air intake heater system uses relays and heaters, controlled by the electronic controller, to preheat the air before it enters the combustion chamber. The relays purpose is to ENERGIZE the air intake heaters so that they can warm the incoming air as it enters the intake manifold. The air intake heaters can be ENERGIZED before and/or after engine cranking, depending upon the intake manifold air temperature. The electronic controller receives a signal from the charge air temperature sensor that indicates the air intake temperature. If the air intake temperature is at or below 59°F (15°C) the electronic controller will start the air intake preheat or post-heat cycle.

PREHEAT CYCLE

The air intake preheat cycle will start if the following conditions exist:

* The ignition switch in in the ON position.
* The electronic controller has not received a crank signal.
* The air intake temperature is at or below 59°F (15°C).

If the preheat cycle is started, the electronic controller will illuminate the Wait-To-Start lamp. Once the preheat cycle has finished, the Wait-To-Start lamp will go out, and the engine can be started.

If the electronic controller receives an engine crank signal while the preheat cycle is running, the air intake relays will be DE-ENERGIZED causing the preheat cycle to be aborted.

POST-HEAT CYCLE

The air intake post-heat cycle will begin if the following conditions exist:

* The engine has been started and is running.
* The air intake temperature is at or below 59°F (15°C) when the ignition switch was turned ON.

The intake air heaters have two different modes of operation depending upon the intake manifold air temperature, either both heaters are ENERGIZED or they are cycled ON and OFF individually (while one is ENERGIZED the other is not and vice versa). The amount of time that the air intake heaters remain ENERGIZED depends upon the intake manifold air temperature.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Diesel Bomber

I did some more digging around the net and found these little links which appear to be page scans from the Dodge FSM-

http://dens-site.net/Dodge_CTD/Grid_...alSup-14-5.jpg

http://dens-site.net/Dodge_CTD/Grid_...alSup-14-4.jpg

And some other good info:

http://dens-site.net/Dodge_CTD/Grid_Heater_Relays/

Based on all of these it looks like the 1st and 2nd Gens share the same operating parameters. The relays look different though from what I remember mine looking like.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks.