1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Needing Some Knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing Some Knowledge

Well my dd jumped time so now I need to fix my 1st gen within a week or so.
It is a 1991 non ic 4x4 auto. I have a list of all problems which i believe and hope they are minor.
1st. Sometimes it is very hard to start. The engine will spin and spin but never catch even in 90 degree weather.

2nd. When it does start it has a rough idle for about 10 seconds then it idles smooth as better. Any advise on the rough idle? I thought maybe timing.

3rd. When going down the road at a slow speed and hitting a bump the whole truck will start to wobble.

4th. The battery will not stay charged, it is a new battery and alternator as well. Could the voltage regulator be causing this?

5th. No radio, headlights only work on bright, and the wipers doesnt work. I can hear the motor so i think it may just be the switch.

6th. The steering is very sloppy. Is there anyway I could tighten it up for the time being.

7th. I would like to wash the engine what would i need to cover or not get very wet?

Thanks in advance guys any info ya'll can give will be very helpful!!

Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 PM
FormerVendor
Received 107 Likes on 99 Posts

1-2 sounds like a fuel leak that is letting air into the system that would cause both of those problems, the rough idle is most likly because its not running on all of the cylinders when it first fires

3- worn out steering parts will cause "death wobble" new steering stablizer will help

4- sounds like you got that one figured out allready

5- checked all the fuses?

6- there is an adjustment on the steering box but i figure you need TREs

7- i would keep the high pressure off of the TPS and the injection pump

Old 07-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Diesel Fan

Would a fuel leak around the fuel filter cause this the hard start and rough idle. The previous owner said it had started leaking on him.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:39 PM
FormerVendor

yes thats the most common place

Old 07-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Diesel Fan

How could i fix it? Could the previous owner just installed it wrong causing an improper seal?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:17 PM
FormerVendor

possible, get a new filter that way you get a new oring

Old 07-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most caster (death) wobbles on straight axle trucks are caused by a bad track bar. A new stabilizer is probably need after the wobble hammered it. Ball joints are often over looked so check them as well. I just spent 10 years with 4 Wheel Parts and have seen this issue 100s of times.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:32 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose1991
Well my dd jumped time so now I need to fix my 1st gen within a week or so.
It is a 1991 non ic 4x4 auto. I have a list of all problems which i believe and hope they are minor.
1st. Sometimes it is very hard to start. The engine will spin and spin but never catch even in 90 degree weather.

Fuel system leaking down, getting air in the system

2nd. When it does start it has a rough idle for about 10 seconds then it idles smooth as better. Any advise on the rough idle? I thought maybe timing.

See above

3rd. When going down the road at a slow speed and hitting a bump the whole truck will start to wobble.

Something loose in the front end, get a friend to rock the steering wheel back and forth and follow all the arms and joints. Find the one thats loose. Might be more then one.

4th. The battery will not stay charged, it is a new battery and alternator as well. Could the voltage regulator be causing this?

Yep

5th. No radio, headlights only work on bright, and the wipers doesnt work. I can hear the motor so i think it may just be the switch.

The plastic joints on the wiper linkage are bad/broke, I did a write up somewhere on here on how to fix them

6th. The steering is very sloppy. Is there anyway I could tighten it up for the time being.

See #3

7th. I would like to wash the engine what would i need to cover or not get very wet?

Any air inlet/electrical

Thanks in advance guys any info ya'll can give will be very helpful!!
Answers in Red... Hopefully it gets you started!

EDIT: Here is the link to fix what is most likely wrong with your wipers...

https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-ge...look-here.html

Last edited by RSWORDS; 07-26-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:01 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the headlights, start out front. Check for voltage at the bulb. Sometimes people don't notice one bulb is blown till the second one goes. If you do not have power at the bulb, take a look at the plug on the dash switch. I had a 93 that burnt up one of the wires in the socket. My solution was to clean up the switch, yank the wire out of the socket and drill a hole through where that wire clipped in. I installed a new termination on the wire. Then passed that one wire through the drilled hole, connected it up to the switch and plugged the socket in over it. A lot cheaper than replacing the whole socket.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Diesel Fan

All the answers here seem pretty accurate.. and my voltage reg. was doing the same to me. But as far as steering issues go, I have one word for you Borgeson! Look them up, they have worked wonders for a lot of guys. The Mopar steering shafts were severely lacking strength and this new one can shore up a lot of issues! Hope that helps bud

Quick Reply: Needing Some Knowledge