1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

uhhh HUH? fuel pin tweak went bad!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default uhhh HUH? fuel pin tweak went bad!

i pulled my afc apart, pulled the pin and diafram out. noted all stock locations. turned pin so deepest slope was on rack. re assembled. result- loss of power. seems as if the boost doesnt get high enough to cycle diafram, thus not working the rack. if you tromp the throttle it acts as if it has a choked filter. but ran like a top(or stock first gen) when i pulled her in the shop. any imput appreciated!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default uhhh HUH? fuel pin tweak went bad!

Sounds like the main fuel screw needs to be adjusted

Old 07-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

main fuel as in the smoke screw? or the power adj. screw?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

As you stated, the pin travels based on boost reference. Make sure the reference line going into the pump top has both the copper washers on it. You might have a boost leak. Did you remove the afc spring also? Because that can also cause the rack to stick.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

no boost leaks from what i can tell. the rack seems as if it set in the closed position from removing the pin, and will not pop back out. is there a spring set on the rack to make it move? the spring is still in the afc.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Sometimes the pin will stick in its bore. Pull the top and see if the pin in free, if not try some penatrating oil a see if it will free up. With the engine off the pin should move out when you open the throttle and be free to slide back in with the throttle closed.When you pulled the fuel pin it forced it into its hole farther than it would normally travel. Rocky

Old 07-24-2011, 07:43 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Pull your pin. Put some heavy grease on the face of it. Reinsert with deepest part facing the front the truck. Take truck out and run the hell out of it. Pull pin and note the witness mark you just made on the pin. IS it all the way to the deepest part?

I'm guessing boost leak. You did nothing else to loose power. Most likely lost one of the two copper washers on the ref line.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

no boost leak. i do have the pin in the correct position. i adjusted the power screw(behind and under) the boost supply line. i got my throttle response and some power back but now my idle and full throttle is jacked up... this thing just keeps me guessing

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

and i wouldnt have been able to grease the pin and run the hell out of it. it would barely gain RPM's

Last edited by CUMMINStagetcha19; 07-24-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

one you shouldn't have turned on the fuel screw until you figured out the other problem first. (ONE THING AT A TIME) you have to adjust idle after adjusting is done on the fuel screw.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:10 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by CUMMINStagetcha19
no boost leak. i do have the pin in the correct position. i adjusted the power screw(behind and under) the boost supply line. i got my throttle response and some power back but now my idle and full throttle is jacked up... this thing just keeps me guessing

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

and i wouldnt have been able to grease the pin and run the hell out of it. it would barely gain RPM's
By greesing the pin and running it we can tell of the AFC is working. You should not have messed with your full power screw, put it back till we find your problem. How do you know you don't have a boost leak. Also while the pin is out look in the AFC and hit the throttle. You should see the pin for the rack come out. Push it back in with a screw driver before putting your pin back in.

Did you do anything else to the truck before the problem? Just messing up a AFC adjustment should not make it run as bad as your saying.

Last edited by RSWORDS; 07-25-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Quick Reply: uhhh HUH? fuel pin tweak went bad!