1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to do?

Hello everyone;

I am new to all of this, apologize in advance for the slopiness and or posts out of place.

I just got a '93 4 x 4 single cab with 53 K, some rust spots but over all clean, needs paint, brakes (rear lines hanging broken) etc.

Front brakes work ok but nothing to brag about, they are a little hard. Is that how they are?
Rear brakes are completely shot, what low cost options are out there? I would like to convert to discs, but too much money. I have 3 young kids .

I read that you can install a booster and master cylinder from a latter model? would that work ok with the drums and the rest?

I will be using it as daily driver, I would love to hear about options to increase the gas milage in all possible areas.

Are gauges a must? I drive very conservative and very rarely with a load or triler.

Thanks all

Gonz:

Old 07-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As for brakes go to the one ton stuff if your truck is a 3/4 ton. The one ton gives you 3" brakes vs 2.5" brakes on the 3/4 ton IIRC. I'm not sure if you need to change anything else to the one ton stuff or if it's just the shoes themselves. I had ~$200 in my rear brakes the first time I did them - 3" brakes, hardware kit, wheel cylinders, adjusters, axle seals, speacial socket to remove axle, rear cover gasket, diff fluid.

Gauges are not really needed if you leave the truck stock but when you start messing with the pump and stuff that's when they become more of a necessity instead of a luxery. Gauges give you the ability to hopefully catch a $100 problem before it becomes a $1000 one. I ended up with ~$450 in boost, pyro, fuel psi, tranny temp, gauge pod, tranny pan but they let me know I had a boost leak and that my lift pump was going out so in that case they kept me from getting left on the side of the road.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have been looking into water meth injection for my truck it lowers exaust temps and comes with a pyro it will also help your fuel milage by 1-5 mpg and gives it a little more power for when you do haul a load. they are kinda spendy running about $850.00 is the best price i have found but everyone i have talked to that has one thinks its a must if you plan to keep your truck stock engine wise hope thats something for you to look into

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by chromehound
Gauges are not really needed if you leave the truck stock but when you start messing with the pump and stuff that's when they become more of a necessity instead of a luxery. Gauges give you the ability to hopefully catch a $100 problem before it becomes a $1000 one. I ended up with ~$450 in boost, pyro, fuel psi, tranny temp, gauge pod, tranny pan but they let me know I had a boost leak and that my lift pump was going out so in that case they kept me from getting left on the side of the road.
may i ask what your guages are? and pod cus thats about what i would like to spend on mine but cant seem to get a package deal together for that much thanks

Last edited by t-bone117yamaha; 07-07-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
Diesel loco (07-07-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got the Gloshift pod (NOT recomended) from Amazon.com and all my gauges were Autometer Z series that I got from Big Rig Truck Accessories (local for me). IIRC they were having a sale when I got mine but had to spend a little extra to get the bung welded into the pan for the tranny at a local shop.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to do

Thanks for the input, do you know if the master cylinder or booster should be replaced as an upgrade? Any benefit?

Tx
Gonz

Old 07-08-2011, 05:18 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

I've heard it said that the GM master cylinders are a good upgrade for us.