1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Factory power mirror questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Factory power mirror questions

Looking to get rid of this side view mirror fabricated setup done by someone other than myself. I have one of the 2 original power mirrors removed by the previous owner and will need to buy the other one. Has anyone removed and installed the original power mirrors on these trucks? Does the outside door mount just need to be removed and reinstalled to put back to original setup or does inside door panel need to be removed as well? Any info would be great.
If I put back the power mirror and the power adjustment functions don't work, can they be manually adjusted by hand without issue and will they stay in a manually adjusted position?

Old 07-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

You'll find it easier to take the inner door panel off, (the one with the controls on it.) Actually, that may be the only way to do it...
As for will the mirrors stay in place? Couldn't tell you. I've read of some guys who hate them cause they flop around and vibrate a lot, , (possibly non-powered) and other guys who have no problems with them. Guess you'll just have to see how it goes. Mine had powered mirrors on but they were changed for a quadruple-arm towing mirror. If I keep the truck I'm going to put some 2nd gen towing mirrors on. Like this... Putting 2nd Gen Mirrors on a 1st Gen.. ( PICS) - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Old 07-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went from power to non with a salvage yard door I installed last week.
You won't have to make any new holes in the doors. The mount that screws to the door is the same. I left my door mount and replaced the heads where the pipe clamps on. I also tightened the clamp so the mirror doesn't move when I slam the door.
You can adjust the power units with your thumb when the motors blow up. Oh, my truck was wired for power mirrors though it didn't have them. I wondered what the unused socket was in my door, answered the question when I got in the junk yard door. I didn't check behind the dash to see if the socket was there too. Mine has power windows, I see yours does too.