1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

CRY FOR HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATTN CRY FOR HELP!!!

What seems to be a common problem for the 1st Gen Dodge is turning into a real headache.

We have no overdrive. No keyed ignition to VSS. We have cleaned and adjusted the TPS, adjusted the throtle lever, as well as, cleaned up ALL ground leads.

This may not be pertinate but the issue began the same day we replaced the powersteering hose.

I have seached forum upon forum, tried numerous tests.... I'm on my last wits.

Please help.

WHERE IS OVERDRIVE TEST PORT LOCATED??????

Old 06-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

test port it putting 12 volt to the OD solenoid.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Have you followed the wires from the transmission to where they go? Also check to make sure all the wires are hooked up on the back of the fuse panel. I've run into this problem a couple times. The first time the time the wires got pinched between the bellhousing and the firewall and the other time my ignition switch was bad. Heres another fix in case you want an alternative fix.Another way to fix OD. - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Old 06-25-2011, 07:47 AM

Have you followed the wires from the transmission to where they go?
Yes, we have located the VSS connector on the drivers side of the transmisson. Here is where we have no keyed ignition from the blue wire of the unit.

Also, we have expanded the bolt holes which attach the TPS box to the injecton pump and increased its power from .33 to .67. (Used Dodge diesel maintenance tips , as referance resource, updated 6/10/11) That's maxed and she will go no further with out modifing the plate and making larger adjustments.

Still no overdrive...

I will however consider the site you've suggested White93. I'm only the book worm Fred is Dr. Frankenstine haha, My name is Alis by the way. And thank you for your help and suggeston. I'm bummed that this has happend but also at peace with it, since it's a great learning experience.

Thanks again!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!ATTENTION CONNECTICUT!!!!!!!!!

Today's the day!!! It's time to come out and play!! We are having a B.S./Hang out/Meet & Greet/Diesel Jam Scession at our garage.

Weather looks a little crappy but no worries, we've got plenty of room to stay dry. We brought the grill down this morning so that's squared away.

We're expecting quite a few people from the local area and our friends from Monroe are already en route

We insist if you've read this thread you take action and join the meet and great. We are opening our "second home" to all those who are respectful and considerate of others, but most importantly have a passion for performance vehicles.

So before your *** roots its self to the chair you've been sitting ... get up couch potatoe ... your friends are calling you to come out and play
108 norwich westerly road, preston, ct 06365

Fred and I have posted about this on powerstroke nation, new england turbo diesel forum and in FTEs forum. We've reached out to a large porton of the diesel community. This is a charitable event. In the refference of charity, I mean we will be exchanging knowledge and information between people. We hope to educate eachother and have a damn good time as well.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

Alis, you might try Keiron Kohlmann's suggestion above if you haven't already. The OD unit on these things can be a real bugger to get going again. But stick with it and we'll try and help you as best we can. You might also try 1stgen.org and the above mentioned site dieseltruckresource.com. Hope you have a good meeting.

The following users liked this post:
DieselDiva108 (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 07:51 AM

Thank you I'll keep pluggin away at her. I took a break from it this weekend. Gonna try and slap her around some more later when we get the motivation.

We may try deleting the tps box bc we have determinded that that could be bad as well.

Last edited by DieselDiva108; 06-28-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Diesel Bomber

Something in the link you posted gave me a lightbulb over my head. S/he said that the TPS may not be the cause, and another possible cause may be the trans. temperature switch. This one is highly overlooked, and I know that somewhere I've read that the tranny needs to see 30°, (ish) in order to go into OD. From personal experience this is the case. So that may be another place to look if you haven't done so already. Don't ask me where it's located though...

Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

The trans temp sensor is located in the front tranny cooler line, near the tranny.

Mark.

The following users liked this post:
KD93 (06-28-2011)
Old 07-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Heart SHE RUNS WITH OVERDRIVE :d

Thank you everyone for all your advice. We finally got the Dodge up and running again.

Problem: Bad OD Switch in cab.
Solution: Replace OD switch with CTO switch in cab. Cost $0.00.

It may be a little ghetto.. when you start her up you gotta press the OD Button labeled CTO 2x's before she'll shift into automatically.. BUT.. SHE WORKS

We brought her out last night to waterford speedbowl in Waterford,CT. Best couple of runs I've gotten from her. I've only done a handfull of 100ft launches ever in my life and with this Dodge. She was consistant with 2.84 sec. Getty up!!

Old 07-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Diesel Bomber

Sweet!!! Glad you got her going again. OD can be a real bear sometimes. That link that White93 posted is a good permanent fix, or if you don't want to make it yourself, DNR Customs makes it for you so you just plug-and-play. $30 or so from him. Welcome to DNR customs The linear POT lets you decide when to switch into OD... on the fly!