1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Foamy/Bubbly Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Foamy/Bubbly Oil?

I just recently replace my lift pump and I was wondering if foamy/ bubbly oil was a sign of fuel in the crackcase?

Name:  Photo158.jpg
Views: 2174
Size:  75.6 KB

Old 06-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like a hot oil drain to me(the best way to do it imo) does it smell like diesel, is it a thin as water, was it way over full? If you didn't notice any of those things that don't look bad to me.Rocky

Old 06-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

No it wasn't hot when I changed it. It does feel a little thinner and cant really make out a distinct smell of diesel. Probably cause my allergies have me all stuffed up.....

Old 06-17-2011, 05:05 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Picture almost makes it look chunky... When you change it last?

I would keep on eye on the level. If it does not rise your fine.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

Oil like that is usually caused by aeration, (air in the oil) from the level being too high. The crank journals whip the oil and aerate it. Not a good thing as air is compressible. It'll cause voids in the oil which will means less lubrication for bearings etc. resulting in faster wear.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RSWORDS
Picture almost makes it look chunky... When you change it last?

I would keep on eye on the level. If it does not rise your fine.
I changed it probably not even a thousand miles ago after I put a new head gasket on it. Its not chunky the air bubbles just make it look that way. The reason i changed it again was because i thought there might be fuel in my oil because when i pulled my dipstick there were bubbles on it.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by KD93
Oil like that is usually caused by aeration, (air in the oil) from the level being too high. The crank journals whip the oil and aerate it. Not a good thing as air is compressible. It'll cause voids in the oil which will means less lubrication for bearings etc. resulting in faster wear.
I never over fill it. I make sure of that.

Last edited by 901stgen; 06-17-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

You say you recently put a head gasket on it. Stick a screwdriver in the drained oil and hold a match or lighter under the oil on the screwdriver (or dipstick if you have not changed your oil for a while) if it sizzles pops and sputters like spit on a hot iron it has water in it, if it just smokes and burns you are okay. Just a few drops of water in the oil will make if act up like a house cat with it's tail caught in a screen door. You very well could have contaminated the oil when you changed the headgasket. It's really hard not to. I'd run it a few miles and check it again see if it don't clear up. Just my opinion because as I just learned in another thread I'm just a nube.Rocky

Old 06-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

If there was diesel in the oil, the oil would 'separate' on the dipstick. Meaning there would only be 'puddles' of oil as opposed to a complete covering.

Glad you don't overfill it.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

The best way to find out if you have a problem is just go get an oil analysis done.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1arock
You say you recently put a head gasket on it. Stick a screwdriver in the drained oil and hold a match or lighter under the oil on the screwdriver (or dipstick if you have not changed your oil for a while) if it sizzles pops and sputters like spit on a hot iron it has water in it, if it just smokes and burns you are okay. Just a few drops of water in the oil will make if act up like a house cat with it's tail caught in a screen door. You very well could have contaminated the oil when you changed the headgasket. It's really hard not to. I'd run it a few miles and check it again see if it don't clear up. Just my opinion because as I just learned in another thread I'm just a nube.Rocky
So i tried this last night and theres definitely no water in the oil.

Quick Reply: Foamy/Bubbly Oil?