1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Leaky injector

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky injector

Hey Gang, been running the 12 v for a few weeks now, shaking it down and stuff. But i have come across a leaky number 5 injector. I am still learning about these motors so i am not sure exactly on how to fix it. Do i need new injectors if they start leaking? If so, what would be a decent upgrade for a non intercooled 12 v?

Chris

Old 05-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Diesel Fan

Well can you give us some more detail from where its leaking from and is it just diesel or is there a poping sound come out of it as well

Old 05-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Diesel Fan

I am gonna have to take some pictures of it tomorrow. It seems like its at the injector base if that makes sense? I did not hear a popping sound but i didnt get very close to it.

Thanks

Chris

Old 05-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I had an injector leak and thought it was the lines. Turns out it wasn't. Bought all new injecctors and it stopped. The first thing you should do is pull the injectors out and send them off to be cleaned and pop tested. If that doesnt fix it be ready to drop the hammer on some new sticks.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

id check the horseshoe washer on the return side of the injector. mine leaked there and i thought it was from the injector too.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Diesel Fan

Mine were leaking from the big nut that holds the injector in the block it was leaking compresion out of it but ya just double check to makr sure every thing is tight first then I would take them out and have them checked so that way your truck wont be down that long

Old 06-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Diesel Fan

I didnt get a picture off... been really busy. I am trying to understand the lingo with the injectors. Upon closer inspection it looks like it is coming out of the big nut. When it cools off a bit i will check it out closer.

Thanks

Chris

Old 08-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Diesel Fan

dont mean to pirate a post but i have a 96 12v and it started to die at an idle. thought i was having airdog trouble but its making all kinds of fuel. after closer inspection i relized that injectors 1,2 and 4 were leaking. i figured if i was gonna change out the u-shape clips id jst as well pull the injectors. replaced them with 90horse ddp's. got all primed up and got it started but it was the same thing. wouldnt start unless you gave it a little on the pedal and wouldnt idle with out dying. i adjusted the throttle linkage so it would idle and took it for a spin. when i got home i looked and injector 1 and 4 were leaking. i hooked my airdog up to the injector return to see if thats where it was leaking. it wasnt. i dried off the injecors and started again. the fuel isnt coming from the actual injector line either. its coming out of the head and also where the dust seal o-ring sits on the jam nut for the injector....i need help fellas....its like my son is sick

Old 08-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

i would pull those injectors that are leaking and clean the copper washers and wire brush the injector hole then take a shop vac and suck the holes out real good to insure there is no dust or debris in between the washers. just my 2 cents!!!!!

Old 08-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Diesel Fan

will try it out. but if that fails???

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

the leaking injector wouldnt cause the idle issue would it?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

well i pulled the two injectors and cleaned every thing real good. reinstalled with 44 lbs of torque. fired it up and same thing. wont idle and 1 and 4 leaked again.

Last edited by Robison; 08-20-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Leaky injector