1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Help identifying engine block/head sensors on 5.9L in FJ60 Landcruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hose 1 and 2

Hose 1: I figure it is some sort of venting for the oil pan and it's on the RT SIDE of engine. What should it connect to though---seems wrong to just leave it breathing open air without an filtering?

Help identifying engine block/head sensors on 5.9L in FJ60 Landcruiser?-g11-hosertside.jpg

Hose 2: There is another one on the LEFT SIDE of engine toward back on a 45deg down hookup tube. This is an older pic---now I have a large hose hooked up there and dropping down and back of the engine. Yep, it's just hanging down below the pan and ready to pickup any sort of crap off the road... It seems like a vent as well so I wouldn't think it would be sucking up anything from the dirt I drive over?

Help identifying engine block/head sensors on 5.9L in FJ60 Landcruiser?-g16-hose2.jpg

Thanks for the help finding out what these are!

Last edited by rastaforte; 05-03-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Hose 1 looks like some kind of drain from its previous application.

Hose 2 is the breather tube.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the help so far guys! Really appreciate it

Old 05-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if your worried about the vent tube just hanging down, just get a drainable catch can with a filter on it . i made my own for my ranchero, but you can buy them from summit. could hose one be an alternate dipstick location ?

Last edited by crazy clem; 05-03-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

S3 & S4 are temp sensors that control your grid heater and ksb I think but I dont know which one is does what and S5 is for the oil guage.Not 100% sure but I think thats right maybe someone will correct me if im wrong.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by crazy clem
if your worried about the vent tube just hanging down, just get a drainable catch can with a filter on it . i made my own for my ranchero, but you can buy them from summit. could hose one be an alternate dipstick location ?
Thx CrazyClem----that might be just the approach (filter)---any chance you have a pic of your setup you built for your Ranchero laying around?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by sweetv8s10
S3 & S4 are temp sensors that control your grid heater and ksb I think but I dont know which one is does what and S5 is for the oil guage.Not 100% sure but I think thats right maybe someone will correct me if im wrong.
SweetV, thanks---that triggered something from what I was reading somewhere in a dusty library book from Chilton.... you probably are right on. I remember something about the KSB being tied to the intake man temp in engines with or w/o intercoolers and always wondered how the engine controls knew when to turn on the grid heater. That's great....points me in good direction there

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

So thought I'd capture everyone's take on the different sensors/or terminal device----be great if anyone else with some thoughts could chime in, even if you're not sure. I'm really curious about S6 that is sitting on side of head just behind the WIF base (https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink)

S1: Water temp sensor
S2: AC block heater terminals
S3: temp sensors for grid heater or KSB (which is which TBD)
S4: temp sensors for grid heater or KSB (which is which TBD)
S5: Oil pressure
S6: **** TBD ***** (midpoint of head just behind WIF filter area)
S7: WIF sensor for WIF Light - sounds like normally open
S8: fuel heater

So here is the real question----for those sensors reading variable measurements (oil, water temp, intake manifold sensors), how could I re-use them without the control unit or going and getting the in-dash gauges that would have been in the dodge truck? I'm figuring this 1991 engine was likely out of a 1992-93?? D250/350 4x4 and from what I've read, the only circuitry connected to the harness was this thing called the Heater Control Unit. And, I think all that did was control some lights for WIF, the grid heater, and other simple stuff I can't remember right now.

All the other gauges I figure (like oil temp, KSB thing) were hard wired to the Dodge gauge in-dash? Can I even re-use these sensors (Water/Oil Pres/intake manifold temp)? Is it easier just to pull those out and find a new sensor/gauge that fits into the existing hole?

Part of my challenge in, say, trying to find P/N's for each sensor is that I have trouble working back to some vehicle that the dealer can give me a number to. Should I be focusing on Cummins for these things? Or, as I understand it's the vehicle manufacturer (Dodge) that would be putting sensors into the engine after getting the engine from Cummins. Am I confused?

LOL. Actually, I'm confused most of the time when working through the different moving pieces on this project!

Again, thx for the help guys.

Last edited by rastaforte; 05-06-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry man , other than the computor im in the stone age, no digital camera no cell phone etc