1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

issues with my brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default issues with my brakes

do all first gens not like to stop my gf refuses to drive it because the brakes are so sloppy. every time i press the pedal i hear a swoosh sound but it nevers holds pressure idk i cant explain it i tried bleeding but i broke the bleeder off the front driver side any common problems with these ol girls

Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

start off by fixing that bleeder. then bleed out the whole system starting from the farthest away bleeder then work your way closer the the master cylinder.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Gas
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just went through this. Go ahead and replace the booster and master (cheap) and the front calipers (really cheap) and you should have a vast majority of the brakes replaced. Also make sure your rears are good. The noise you hear is the booster giving away. Boosters usually go because master cylinders leak into them and the brake fluid ruins the booster diaphragm. My truck was like you described and I installed all the stuff I just mentioned in about 2 hours, bled out the whole truck and it stops in a hurry now.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:32 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it won't hold pressure and there's no fluid leaking out of it, the master is bleeding internally.
Years ago I noticed this in dad's car. It seemed to stop ok but as ya sat at the light the pedal would fall towards the floor. A new master fixed it.
If the truck stops straight and drives straight your calipers are probably fine. That happened to my car. Left caliper was stuck so it would pull right under breaking then pull left after braking because the piston didn't want to move as nicely as the other side. They are cheap, so I like to replace those in pairs.
My truck stops OK until I'm in traffic, then I loose power assist. One of my vacuum pumps is dead, so the system doesn't pull the kind of volume it should

Old 04-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had two first gens and neither had very good brakes, I have considered doing a hydraboost swap, however i dont know if it possible.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

what is the hydra boost and it doesn't pull or anything that i notice what does a booster and master cylinder run

Old 04-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 2nd gens have hydraboost. It uses the powersteering oil pressure to hydraulically boost the brakes. In place of the vacum booster. It sounds good to me i just havent done any research on it yet.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Diesel Fan

Yea I'd like to know more about the hydraboost swap. stopping 37 inch tires is not easy.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am finishing the rear brakes, in installed drum cylinders from a dually chev. 95, everything fits fine, got too dark, I think that this should work. I will know tomorrow

Gonz

Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 AM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Can you pump the brakes and make the pedal hard without it losing feeling? If yes you have air in the system. Also take a vice grip and pinch off the main rear line and see if the pedal gets better. If yes your problems back there. If not do each side one at a time in the front and that will isolate what caliper might be bad. Dothe master and booster last since it might not be the problem and why spend money when you don't have to?

Quick Reply: issues with my brakes