1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Newbe Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbe Question

I have did just about all the Tunes (?) That i read about on here
Turn fuel pin 90, turn star half turn, And turn in smoke screw.
I still have no smoke or Any more power then when i started..
Only thing i have not done is full power screw cause i can not figure how to get it out
Question is why no extra power or smoke ? is there any tips on getting full power screw out ?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Ok anotherQuestion i am at work i cant used the search so i force to ask
is there a walk though on how to hook up gauges?

Originally Posted by papa_4runner
I have did just about all the Tunes (?) That i read about on here
Turn fuel pin 90, turn star half turn, And turn in smoke screw.
I still have no smoke or Any more power then when i started..
Only thing i have not done is full power screw cause i can not figure how to get it out
Question is why no extra power or smoke ? is there any tips on getting full power screw out ? )By that i mean the meatl cap that is welded on )

Ok anotherQuestion i am at work i cant used the search so i force to ask
is there a walk though on how to hook up gauges?
edit

Last edited by papa_4runner; 04-19-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ok first off man you dont take the power screw out you screw it in a turn or 2 or 3 just be sure you have the intake off so if you incounter run away you slap a 2x6 on the turbo so it kills the engine because a 20 year old diesel ingine turning 5000 rpms wont do you or your truck much good! secound i did alot of mods to my truck iwthout much power gains the best investment you can make as a 20 dollar 3200rpm gov spring and prolly a fuel pin from mnh! about your gauges you are most likley getting a pryo and boost? thats my best guess for the boost gauge you can tap in on the drivers side under the intake elbow, for pyro depends if you go pre or post turbo i prefer pre turbo most guys go post because it saves your turbo if your pyromoter sensor breaks, pre turbo is the accurate reading though you find the center of you manifold about 4 in away from the turbo and with the truck running and grease on your drill bit tap the hole the truck is running so it blows the shavings up and not through your turbo and the grease is for the shavings to stick to or you can take the turbo off and just do it that way it depends on how much time you have hope it helps if you need a detailed walk through i can pm you one or look on the youtube

Old 04-20-2011, 07:48 AM
Diesel Fan

By take out i was talking about the metal cap sorry i edited first post. I will look on youtube to see about the gauges thanks for your help.

Levi i tryed to Pm it will not let me yet not enough post

Last edited by papa_4runner; 04-20-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok buddy what did you need to know? im here to help

Old 04-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Diesel Fan

DO you have a pic of the power screw? SHould mine be throwing smoke if i turned fuel pin 90 and 2 turns on star and smoke screw all the way down ?

Old 04-21-2011, 03:01 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by papa_4runner
DO you have a pic of the power screw? SHould mine be throwing smoke if i turned fuel pin 90 and 2 turns on star and smoke screw all the way down ?
Smoke should be an afterthought..... lets make power first.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 901stgen
Smoke should be an afterthought..... lets make power first.
Thats true... But I cant really any more untill Gauges come in

Im just really trying to make sure I am doing it right

Last edited by papa_4runner; 04-21-2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

look in the sticky section on how to turn the pump up its a good read and x2 on the not worring about smoke with everything i have done i have my pump tuned and i hardley blow any i mean if im at stand still at a red light i can butt it isnt anything to worry about when you se guys just rolling coal i luagh because usualy the have a turbo kill switch on the newer trucks or no mods and their stock trucks pump maxed out do it right the first time

Old 04-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Diesel Fan

I know smoke means wasteing fuel and all but it also means you running good if all is tuned right.. I read it but im not 100% on it im looking at right thing.. How in world do you get that metal cap off ..

Old 04-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I used an old scratch awl to get under it then 2 small flat screwdrivers to for lack of a better term ''teeter totter it out..

Quick Reply: Newbe Question