1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

off road

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off road

ok so i put about 5 gallon of off road in my truck today and it seems to b runnin a little different. it seems to be runnin cooler but its like it tops out rpms out real fast

Old 04-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

To my knowledge Off road is now the same sulphur content as ultra low. Only difference is its red. I usually only run OR and cant notice a difference when i run regular.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

soo off road is the new name for red diesel or am i mistaken? i come off a ranch and we all just call it read diesel

Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what i have heard all off road/ red fuel, is just dyed, on road. It is all ultra low sulfur content.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

it now only means red diesel (non taxed) green diesel (taxed)

I do know if you get caught with it in your tank, it is a very hefty fine, but if you are only driving a farm use vehichle, you can use.; I think you can, not sure.

found this on IRS website

How To Buy Diesel Fuel and Kerosene Tax Free

You buy dyed diesel fuel and dyed kerosene excise tax free. You must use them only for a nontaxable use, including use on a farm for farming purposes. If you use the dyed fuel for a taxable use, you could be subject to the excise tax and a penalty. For example, if a truck used on a farm for farming purposes is also used on the highways (even though in connection with operating the farm), tax applies to the diesel fuel used (or sold for use) in operating the truck on the highways. The fuel was used off the farm for a taxable use.

found some more on how much a fine it is
1,000 up to 10,000
look on page 9
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p510.pdf

Last edited by cummins_guy; 04-12-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

But my truck does run cooler on Farm Diesel and i might get more MPGs Maybe its all in my head but i think there is slight a difference

Old 04-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

you might be getting a better grade of diesel. since farm fuel is not bought as much as road fuel, the farm might be left over #1 diesel from the winter. i dont know for sure just my thought.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Good to know

Old 04-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The link that cummins guy found has a typical bureaucrat's entrapment built in.

Farmer Brown's logic: "I drive my truck 20% farm and 80% public road. I never do a full fill-up in town. I buy 20gal in town and add 5-gal from the tank. I should be OK."

In a just and fair world, like what you and I would run, he'd be right.

After a 7-year court battle that costs him his farm, he might be proven Pyrrhicly right.

In the real world, he's guilty until proven innocent, and better off running on "road" fuel.

.......or WVO, so long as the pumps, injectors and all don't mind the extra viscosity.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

......annnnd furrrrthermooooorrrre.....(you have to shake your jowls, and point your right index finger while using that phrase)

...I read on a different "red fuel" discussion that in addition to "dipping" your tank and catching you red-handed (no pun intended), "they" can also test for red dye residue in your exhaust pipe's soot layer. Take a toilet brush to the car wash with you, and scrub n rinse as far as you can, if you used to run the red stuff, and you currently aren't, and if the "revenoors" are active in your area.

Question for you northern guys: home heating oil? I've seen comments that it works well, but wonder this: dyed or clean? Detectable or not?

Last edited by geddy's uncle; 04-16-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets just all stick to on road . our trucks run better and i dont thank we can be without them for more than a day so lets stay out of jail . RUN ON ROAD!!!

Quick Reply: off road