1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

It came!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It came!

My gds 60mm upgrade came.
I'm going to install it, but ive never touched a turbo in my life and am ready to learn something new

It would be awesome if some one who did it could tell me how to do it. Or post a link, I havent been able to find anything. What are the steps to swapping out the compressor upgrade?

Thanks, I'm so excited to put it in, I just really dont want to screw it up.
Thanks alot in advance.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

HTT Stage IV how-to and impressions - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums I've done it many times and its easy but be VERY CAREFUL.

1. The nut has reverse threads and may be hard to break loose.

2. Make sure you use a 13mm wrench and not a socket. For some reason using a ratchet bends the shaft every time, at least it did with me.

3. If you don't get the compressor housing on perfectly straight it will bind with the wheel and bend the shaft. As you slide it on turn the wheel to check for binding.

4. I never use a torque wrench and haven't had any issues. Get it tight but not really tight or you will bend the shaft.

5. These turbo's don't have the strongest shaft but if you careful you should have no problems.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:08 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Also look in the sticky. I did a hybrid build mine needed a. Customer crossover but you should not.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I put one on a while back and I really like it. If you don't have a BHAF it doesn't whistle very loud but with one man it sure sings. Also take it nice and slow when doing the install. I didn't have any problems. However, if you're like me and like things clean make sure you either paint the housing or install it with very clean hands or you will smudge grease into it and it wont come out. Found that out the hard way. Nice clean looking housing except for a splotch of grease on it that wont come off .
Good luck

Old 04-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Klockmon
My gds 60mm upgrade came.
I'm going to install it, but ive never touched a turbo in my life and am ready to learn something new

It would be awesome if some one who did it could tell me how to do it. Or post a link, I havent been able to find anything. What are the steps to swapping out the compressor upgrade?

Thanks, I'm so excited to put it in, I just really dont want to screw it up.
Thanks alot in advance.
Hey just wonderin how much for the upgrade and if i should go with the smaller ex housing on my 92 i/c if i do the upgrade, thanks.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hey guys i did the 60mm upgrade a while back befor i blew my turbo and i also had a smaller wastegated exhaust housing on it and all of my buddys named my truck the 727 because when i passed then goin 90 and turning 30 psi even with my 5in straight pipe all they could hear was my turbo butt saddly it died and im running an hx35

Old 04-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just another 92,
It cost me 290$, but you could get it cheaper, I got hammered on shipping costs since I live in Canada.
I just put it in, along with my BHAF, and I reccommend it. It screams!
I put mine on with the original housing and im pretty impressed with it. Though, I am going to be putting on a smaller housing in the next couple of months, either a 14 or a 16cm. So if you can do them both at the same time do it, but I wasnt able too at the time.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey thanks i think i will try it out when i get a few extra dollars.