1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Need help. Top Dead Center Pin wont engage

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Need help. Top Dead Center Pin wont engage

Earlier tonight i was tryin to adjust the valves on my fathers 90' cummins and we couldnt get the pin to pop in to get top dead center. we sprayed lube on the pin and it moves free, it just wont pop in the hole. I know i have the motor turned to the right spot where it should go in but it wont. is there any other way you can figure out top dead center? i dont really wanna eye ball it but is that my last resort? any help would be great. thanks guys.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

dont mean to sound like a moron but have you tried turning the motor over by hand ! alittle bit forward or backwards of where you think you should be while pushing on the pin? stupid idea?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:25 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

If someone in the past turned teh motor over with it engauged the pin is shot. Mine does not engauge in my truck either.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ya weve been turning it over by hand. i thought if it broke it would cause damage though . is there any other way i can find TDC?

Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

i dont know if that engine is the same but our cummins at school (13 liter i think) has markings on the the pulley. A B and C you line them up with a line on the block and depending on if your in cycle one or two it tells you which cylinder is at top dead center wiggle the pushrods and if they're free that's the right one

Old 03-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by prison
i dont know if that engine is the same but our cummins at school (13 liter i think) has markings on the the pulley. A B and C you line them up with a line on the block and depending on if your in cycle one or two it tells you which cylinder is at top dead center wiggle the pushrods and if they're free that's the right one
ya we thought of that too. tried looking but didnt see anything.