1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Electrical deamons- only when its near freezing or warmer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical deamons- only when its near freezing or warmer?

I live in Alaska and recently got a 92 d250. The truck drives great, runs great, but didnt have enough battery power to get going when it was cold out. So I put in 2 big batteries, 1000 cranking each and some 0 guage battery cables. Now I'm confident the truck will start after sitting in -50 weather but it has issues when it warms up outside. These issues come up when its around 30F or warmer.

Wait to start will not turn on, or wont turn off, or will flash, and then flickers as I drive
Water in fuel flickers as I drive
Overdrive will not engage, if it does then the wait to start / water in fuel light stop flickering
Voltage drops periodically
Lights flicker

If its under 10 degrees there are no issues even once the truck has been driving all day. My grounds seem solid, both batteries are also grounded to the core support and the block and the voltage regulator is pretty much new. What made me finally go get the new batteries was the voltage regulator failing and cooking the old battery so the truck was getting 20 volts or more for more then one day. Non of these issues showed up until a month or so after the new batteries where put in but it was cold that whole time. Help! This is driving me crazy and is really going to suck in the summer when the truck wont go into overdrive. Thanks for any help.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

come on, lets hear some ideas. . . I know its not a pump tuning question and therefor not fun or cool but the trucks in the garage warm and ready for some attention.

Last edited by Ben21; 02-11-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-12-2011, 08:54 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

How large are you grounds? They are severely under sized from the factory.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:39 PM

They are big, 0-1 welding wire from both batteries to a big bolt just below the starter and 8 gauge to the core support. Not sure where the chassis / body grounds are, they are just stock I'm sure. Today it was -2 F out and I had the truck in the garage, wait to start was freaking out for the first 5 minutes then went away. If it was 25 out it would have done been acting up even if I left it out all night. At -2 if I left it out all night unplugged and unloved everything works perfect.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:44 AM

Help!!! Now its spring so its warm and this is still an issue. grid heater and glow plugs seem to be cycling continuously. Wont go into over drive, yada yada.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Why is there so much wiring and sensors on this truck! There is more electrical then something with spark plugs.

Last edited by Ben21; 03-25-2011 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost