1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

How can I tell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How can I tell?

I was told from the guy I bought this truck from that it had 150hp injectors in it.It smokes like there in there but it sure doesnt feel like it.How can I tell if I have 150hp injectors or not. Ive ridden in other truck that feel faster than mine that are just turned up. Ive done everything to the pump. My top end feels pretty good it just seems awhile to get there. plz help

Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

If you can, check to see where you're timing is at.
If you've done everything you can to the pump, I'd 'undo' a few things. Like backing the smoke screw out a bit. Also, check for boost leaks. Run your truck at an idle, and spray little, (and I mean LITTLE) shots of ether around all the IC boots/cooler lines, and on the IC itself. If your idle jumps up, you just found a breach of containment. You gotta remember too, with a stick, you're going to loose boost between changes.
Also, are you getting good fuel pressure to the pump? What sort of shape is your lift pump in? If it's the stock one, you might want to upgrade to a low-pressure piston LP, or an electric pump like a Holley or FASS/Airdog etc.
There's countless ways of making more power, but it's hard to know what to focus on when you're not really giving us much info to work with. A more detailed explaination would be appreciated!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

As far as whats in there? You would need to have them checked by someone who could measure flow, or hole size.

The following users liked this post:
smokedout (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean its not slow enough to where i think somethings wrong. This is my first 1st gen. maybe im just used to the 2nd gen power ive owned a few.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm thinking that's probably the case. 1st gen's can be fast, but you have to pour a lot of time, energy and money into getting them that way. In saying that, my 1st gen walks all over my 2nd gen.