1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

injector pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default injector pump

was out messin with the 1st gen an the injector pump starts leakin! so after lookin till dark an not findin the problem, i threw my crap back in the toolbox an gave up for the night. any ideas where it could be comin from? its not the gasket i know that but cant seem to find the drip, an its leakin pretty bad. the hole side of the block is soked!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

fuel drain runs along side of the block and its hard to see. about the only fuel related piece that runs near the block. it connects towards the front of the pump on top towards the cover. has a 90degree metal tube that snakes back to the rear of the engine. hard to see unless you know where it is.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You have an oil leak or a fuel leak? Your vacuum pump has a engine oil supply line in the general area. Vacuum pump can leak engine oil. Could also be an oil sending unit. Could also be the TDC timing pin behind the inj pump. Tappet cover gasket could be bad as well.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Diesel Fan

its definitely diesel fuel leakin. u can smell it walkin up to the truck. an i ran my fingers thru the puddle, there was no oil in it. i thought the same thing when i saw it leakin. thanks tho i will chck those few ideas yall gave me nxt wknd. an get back to yall on it

Old 01-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What were you messing with? I just dealt with a power screw leaking fuel on me after i turned it some. There is an O-ring on it and after 19 years just sitting there it didnt like being turned and started leaking. A simple O-ring and 5 minutes fixed the problem.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Diesel Fan

thats the funny part, i wasnt messin with the engine at all. i start it up every wknd an run it for an hr or so just to keep the gaskets from dryin out. i drive it to the post office every sat mornin, an thats it. i was wrkin inside the cab on my dash an it was idolin on the drive way when it started leakin. i drive a truck for a livin, so im out all wk on my trk. i will get back to it sat when i get home.