1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

New first gen added to the collection

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default New first gen added to the collection

Hey guys, so i added to the collection and got a great deal on an 89 d250. Ive been a 24v guy, and havent really messed with the 12v motors too much so im excited to expand my knowledge. So the question is... What should i do? Its currently BONE STOCK. Bought it off the original owner! Body is a litle rough but i can fix that. It was stored in a barn and sat for almost 3 years. It fired right up and i drove it onto my car trailer. Do i leave it bone stock and do the body work or should i turn the pump up a little? I wouldnt mind giving it a little more pep, but i have my 01 for going fast in. Could someone post a GOOD sticky on this thread pertaining to pump tuning for me plz? I also have an hy35 turbo from my 2001 laying around, how would it match up on the 89? I heard they bolt on... What would i need to do that? I think some pump tuning and that turbo, maybe an exhaust and intake also, would make it run exactly how i want it to. Any other suggestions? Oh yeah and whats the best place to get a cheap set of wheels? I tried putting the stock wheels from my 01 onto it but obviously the offset on the front wheels is wrong. Are there spacers that can fix that? If not ill sandblast and re-paint the stock steel wheels. Thanks guys appreciate the input!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

i think on the top of the aftermarket rotarybombers page theres a sticky for turnin up the pump. some easy things you can do for now to make you happy could be to get rid of that stock muffler, do something with that stock filter and intake, turn up your pump, adjust your throtle linkage over for full throttle swing, rotate your fuel pin so the deepest part of the lip is facing the front of the the truck, and if you want smoke turn your smoke skrew in all the way or to where its desirable on the top of the ve-pump, and advance your timing of your pump to the head or where you want too ( i can get you a write up for that if you need it). thats basically what you can do for free and that will keep you happy for a while. that turbo should mount right on there. the only thing is you will probly have to get an adapter to mount your oil feed line on ( the non-ic trucks dont come with it, all the rest do)and make up your own oil return. thats what i had to do for my hx40. oh and if you feel comfortable with doin it, torque your head down to 125lbs. a blown head gasket really sucks. i just had to do all that. if you want mods that you can do that will cost you some money just let me know and ill tell you some.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Trust me, with a mechanical injected engine it'll be a different feeling when you've adjusted fuel MANUALLY and gotten dirty doing it.
It's a sense of accomplishment you won't get from a chip.

Mark.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Check the first gen sticky It will tell you all you need to know!

Old 12-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Diesel Wrench

Turned up the pump today. Wow what a difference. Still have a few things to get caught up on. Ordered the alternator, put in a new master cylinder, ordered a new serpentine belt, e brake cables, and rear wheel cylinders. Trans cooler lines are leaking so I guess I'll have to make some new ones. After all that I think it's just about ready for inspection... I'll try to post a pic up here

Old 12-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Diesel Wrench

Old 12-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

nice find with your rig

Old 12-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Diesel Wrench