1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fuel Economy

Does anyone have ideas to boost the fuel economy with the 1st gens. besides intake and exhaust. Has any get a significant increase in fuel mileage with advaning the timing. I plan on doing that one i figure out what mileage im going to get with the truck truck.

Im really going for mpg with this truck for now since im in college and its a long ride home...an intake and exhaust are going on it soon.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

I know this aint exactly what yer after but it will help

Tips and Tricks for Better Fuel Economy

1. Air up your tires.
Keeping your tires aired up to manufacturers specs can help your fuel economy up.

2. Leave your tailgate up!
The tailgate up creates a vortex behind the cab which pushes air up over the tailgate. The tailgate down allows the air to push down on the bed creating drag.

3. Be easy on the Throttle!
Now, chip or no chip, try to keep your foot out of it. Be easy on the throttle. If you have just purchased a chip, your tendency will be to floor it at every light. You will NOT see better fuel economy this way. Another recommendation is the ease up to the lights and try to keep your momentum up so that your still rolling when the light turns green.

4. Keep your RPM's low.
If you are really trying to get all you can get, its a good idea to keep your RPM's low. Try to keep them under 2000 and see how that works for you. Of course, if you are on the freeway, have to make time and have a low gear ratio, this may be out of the question.

5. Products that may help with fuel economy
You will have to weigh the difference in possible fuel economy gained and the cost of the product, but some of these products may help your fuel economy.

Performance Chips.
Do the research and find a good chip for your diesel. See what others are saying about chips for your year make and model vehicle for some added fuel economy. You may ask the chip manufacturer but you will probably find the best fuel economy in one of the mid settings if it has multiple settings.

Air Intakes
Some Intakes will supply your engine with more, cold air. Which in turn will help your engine by not having to work so hard and possibly give you better economy.

Tonneau Covers.
Most people see another 1 MPG after adding a tonneau cover to their truck bed.
Propane Injection
Most Propane kits claim to give you another 25% fuel economy and much greater HP. Plus the propane helps keep your injectors clean and such. However, you have to figure the cost of propane and the cost of the kit, which to do a good job can be a fairly large initial cost.
Fuel Air/Water Seperators
Fuel Air seperator systems can get you better fuel economy by getting rid of the air in your fuel.
I'm sure there are many more things out there that can help and we will keep adding to this list, but keep in mind that you will be saving fuel economy by reducing friction, and reducing the workload on your engine.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

my 90 gets 17, and it dosent have an overdrive automatic but it only weighs 5300 with me in it, your truck is overdriven either way though, you should be getting around 20 or better, i took my air box out, so its an open stock filter, i cut the muffler off, i didnt notice any real difference in mileage, i DROVE the **** outta it, she's dead right now though.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, mine is overdriven.

I recently took a class on diesel fuels systems, and from what my instructor told me that advancing my timing a little should improve economy, because is making the engine more efficent, they retard timing for emissions from the factory...but currently my truck is Michigan at my parents home and I am attending school in Ohio at University of Northwestern Ohio so I haven't got a chance to mess with the pump...but on thanksgiving weekend I will get my chance.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:24 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 319 Likes on 271 Posts

That only works when you learn how to moderate your throttle position. Advancing the timing builds the power sooner so in theory you use less throttle position for the same amount of power at a given RPM. BUT, if you continue to use the same throttle position you will burn more fuel than you did before. Fortunately the Cummins does a better job at sipping fuel because of the inline configuration with larger slugs which brings its torque curve on sooner in the RPM range.

Last edited by DangerousDuramax; 11-17-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Advancing the timing (to an extent) allows better burn at higher RPM. It wouldn't say it makes the power come on sooner, though... It sacrifices bottom-end power in exchange for top-end power.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:13 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 319 Likes on 271 Posts

Oops...yes, 'advancing' timing. I thought I read 'retard'. You are correct sir. Everyone read my last post backwards and it'll make sense. I'm still suffering from a hangover so my brain is thinking backwards.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by DieselfreakMI
Yeah, mine is overdriven.

I recently took a class on diesel fuels systems, and from what my instructor told me that advancing my timing a little should improve economy, because is making the engine more efficent, they retard timing for emissions from the factory...but currently my truck is Michigan at my parents home and I am attending school in Ohio at University of Northwestern Ohio so I haven't got a chance to mess with the pump...but on thanksgiving weekend I will get my chance.

who was the teacher??? Sarge???. if not, go talk to Sarge, that man KNOWS HIS STUFF!!!!!! where ya working at in Lima??? you in the diesel club??? they about got the pulling truck done???

Old 11-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My 92' gets about 20 - 22 mpg most all the time. I agree with the statment that your right foot has to do alot with fuel economy. Mine did better when i turned the pump up some.
ez

Old 11-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Diesel Bomber

find a 3.07 gear ratio Dana 70 from 727 truck and swap it in, very low cruising rpms.

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy