1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Can anybody tell me my inj.pump timming.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can anybody tell me my inj.pump timming.

I have been under it and I have a mark on the front cover but nothing on the inj.pump so I dont know what my inj pump is running at. I need to turn it up but I'd like to know the percent ? Just turn it an 1/8 inch but i have no idea if it has been done because of the fact no mark on inj. pump. ANY INFO WOULD HELP, THINS YOU.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

In all honesty this might not be the best method to go about it but.... if i didnt have a tool to read lift i would probably do it this way.

First thing id do is mark where your pump is now incase you mess up and need to put it back to stock... dont skip that step.

Id push the the pump as close to the head as you can by hand and tighten it down by one nut... On my truck that was a tiny bit more than 1/4" advanced... Then i would mark the pump and timing case in the same spot. Then back the pump off 1/8" from that spot. On my truck that would be a 1/8" timing bump. (quarter inch minus eighth inch equals eighth inch)

if it doesnt seem to run right after that you can always move it back to where it is now but it should be fine.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:06 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by JBradley500
In all honesty this might not be the best method to go about it but.... if i didnt have a tool to read lift i would probably do it this way.

First thing id do is mark where your pump is now incase you mess up and need to put it back to stock... dont skip that step.

Id push the the pump as close to the head as you can by hand and tighten it down by one nut... On my truck that was a tiny bit more than 1/4" advanced... Then i would mark the pump and timing case in the same spot. Then back the pump off 1/8" from that spot. On my truck that would be a 1/8" timing bump. (quarter inch minus eighth inch equals eighth inch)

if it doesnt seem to run right after that you can always move it back to where it is now but it should be fine.
Don't just shove it to the head till it stops, that can give you way to much timing. Just because yours was 1/4" his could be 1/2"...

They only TRUE way to know would be to buy the timing tool and check were you are at. Aside from that, if you do no towing I would feel safe marking the pump and moving it 1/8", if you plan to tow at all though I would get the tool and check were you are at now so you don't melt something...

Also a good rule of thumb is if it starts rattling like a old 6.5 Chevy diesel you've gone to far. If you start hearing timing knock you need to back it off. Again only use this method if you are not going to tow at all.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I agree but without the tool i couldnt think of another way to go about it. If these trucks has any consistency to their build then youd think it would get him within a row of buttholes.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:43 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Almost all factory installed pumps come with a timing mark, I've never seen one witout but I'm sure there are some floating around. Alot of replacement pumps don't, so who know where the tech set the timing at and weather or not someone else has bumped it already.

If you don't have the tool the move it a little at a time (less then 1/8") and listen for excessive rattle is about the only way to go. And when doing that I would not dare tow a trailer.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks, Where can I buy the timing tool? I will buy it because I now love first gens.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Diesel Fan

What tool are you talking about? Icould not find anything on-line FOR THE BOSCH V.E. PUMP. found several for the P. PUMP but nothing for the V.E.. I NEED TIMMING.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

this is the writeup ive been linked to

(Type a title for your page here)

Old 12-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Diesel Fan

A TIMING TOOL FOR BOSCH VE. LET ME KNOW WHERE TO BUY. NOT A P-PUMP.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Thank you JBradley now iI got it. will do next week.

Last edited by fatirishguy; 12-17-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

why would you not tow at all with the 1/8 inch bump? i thought advancing will lower egt's some. is this safe to do if you have a pyro? thanks!

Quick Reply: Can anybody tell me my inj.pump timming.