1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

help me with my cablights

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default help me with my cablights

i bought a set of recon smoked leds cablights to put on my truck. my truck didnt have factory cablights. i mounted the lights and wired em up and touched the ground off the check em and they light fine then when i checked em again the one on the end was really dim. so i tried bout everything i could think of, re wired it checked voltage, ground, and it was still dimmer. i wired in my hot in a different place and it helped some, so i decided to leave it be. i put my interior all back and drove it too town, all the lights where working fine. then i shut them off and back on to check them and now the second to last light is really dim and the last one is light up correct. what the hell is going on? i cant figure it out. i got 12 v at the end of my wire. there hooked up in series. i cant figure it out. any help is apprieciated.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 171 Likes on 90 Posts

I had a buddy that put the LED cablights on and had similar problems. Some of them were different shades of amber, some of them were dim. I would give recon a call, it seems like perhaps you got bad LED assemblies.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well only problem is i bought them used instead of new

Old 12-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

never know recon might stand behind them anyways

Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

depends on wether you wire them in series or parallel. they need to be in parallel.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:53 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by kieron_kohlmann
depends on wether you wire them in series or parallel. they need to be in parallel.
He said he wired 'em up in series. ^^^^^

As Kieron said, wire them in parallel. Or if you want to be really fancy, series/parallel like your headlights.

Last edited by KD93; 12-03-2010 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Sp. & structure.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

The problem with wiring them up in series is that each bulb in theory is dropping the same voltage. the problem is that they are not exactly the same. Thus the bulbs with more resistance through them are robbing the voltage from the other ones that have less resistance. In a perfect world they would all be the same brightness but their not. Your easiest bet is to wire them up in parallel. Then each light will be dropping 12 volts, making it light to its maximum potential.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kieron_kohlmann
Not electrically inclined.....what does this mean?

Old 12-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

run a 12 volt a power wire to each light.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

just turn on your lights and take out the bulb that is first in line to receive juice from the battery, if all your lights go out, then you have it in series, if they do not you have it in parallel.

all vehicles are (should be) wired in parallel because if you loose one head light, you still have the other to get you home.

if that company will not help you out, you can go to your local autozone and they should have the led cab lights in stock (the autozone in my town always have them in stock)

hope this helps