1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Alternator died

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Alternator died

Atlernator died and i have a couple of questions. I need a new one obviosuly and i'd like to put it in myself so my quetions are 1) Where i should get one? 2) Should i consider pulling a used one off of one in a junkyard 3) does anyone know where i can find a manual for the removal, and reinstallation of my alternator? Any adive would be great! My truck is a 1990 dodge ram w200 thanks!

Old 11-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get a new one, for the hassle that it is to remove and reinstall you only want to do it once. I got mine from Discount/Advance Auto parts, lifetime warranty and they are all over the country. They did have to order it though, not something they usually keep in stock. As for the instructions, it's listed in the Haynes manual for this generation of trucks. It's fairly straightforward but does require a little bit of doing and keeping track of what goes where on the serpentine belt routing and a little bit of hand fitment issues, but nothing major. You can accomplish it with basic hand tools aside from needing an impact to change out the pulley on the alternator, most of them will come with a v-belt pulley and you'll need to swap that for the serpentine pulley on yours now.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:40 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

if you have a Nippon Denso alternator and want to grab one from a junkyard look for a Caravan with a 3.0l motor, the alternators are the same all you have to do is change the pullys around

Old 11-29-2010, 01:46 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

buy new...pretty easy install

Old 11-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure you change the voltage regulator before buying an alternator, bad regulator causes the exact same no-charge situation(unless of course your alt. is siezed or the pully is floppin' around all over the place)

The regulators seem to be almost a maintenance item in these old dodges, but their only 12 or 15 bucks

Old 12-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question no charge while driving

I have a 1993 W350 Ram with the 12vavle cummins and an external regulated alternator where do i get a new Regulator???????????????

Old 12-19-2010, 03:34 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey yea just get a new one and save yourself the hassle and there easy to change its three bolts unplug some wires and plug them in when your done a cheater bar and you will get it.