1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

injector lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default injector lines

got the motor with all lines off and have never worked on a rotary and can figure out how the lines hook up to the pump so if you can send me pics or point me in the right direction i would like it alot.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. They go around the pump in the firing order. firing order is on the tag on the engine. i forgot it 153624 i think is it. cylinders go from grille to firewall 123456.

also youtube ve governor spring install and the video shows a good pic of the lines with the throttle linkage out of the way.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

also they go around the pump counter clockw ise when looking at it from the drivers seat

Last edited by 6btDakota; 10-10-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

That Dakota will be bad *** with a bt6, never seen a Dakota with one

Old 10-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

The lines can only go on one way ???

Old 10-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

They only go on 1 way, but I can start you off.
#1 cylinder is at the bottom of the pump.
Also, #6 cylinder is the LONGEST line of the set.

Stupid thing about this is, if you know what you're doing, you don't even have to dis-assemble the lines from the holder brackets.
You just remove the hold down bolts for the line brackets and they come out in 2 sections, front and rear.
If you remember that the REAR set of lines comes off first, it's a piece of cake to remove them as an assembly.

Another tip:
Removing the rear set of lines FIRST allows access to the rearmost fitting on the pump, which is not accessible otherwise.

Mark.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

WHAT all the fuel lines are the same length if they were not they would not deliever the same amounts of fuel to each cylinder.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

maybe he means longest after the top bend.I hope

Old 10-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jwirth
WHAT all the fuel lines are the same length if they were not they would not deliever the same amounts of fuel to each cylinder.
C'mon, man, be practical.

They HAVE to be longer along a direct line to their respective injector.
Yes, they do have bends and twists, especially the shorter lines, but the ones with LESS aggressive bends, with more straight, smooth sections, are the ones furthest from the injectors.

I also have a theory on the "all lines the same length" wizardry.

Unlike air, a liquid under non-oxygenated (no air in the fuel) pressure doesn't necessarily need an equal volume to dispel the same amount of fuel, because, as we all know, a (non-aerated) liquid cannot be compressed.
In that vein, given no air and the fact that a column of fuel is "solid", regardless of the length of the line, the resulting reaction should be the same, therefore the volume of fuel (liquid) expelled should not be changed.
The pressure rating (Or "Pop" pressure) of the injector, the injectors volume dispersal, plus pressure input of the injection pump is what changes volume at the tip (nozzle) of the injector.

A column of liquid 1 foot long, or 2 feet long is still going to displace the same amount of fuel when it is pressurized, such as an injection system is.

Mark.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

OMG Go check if you don't believe me.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks for input i went to a friends and looked at his and ya its gona be a cool truck.