1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

My heats not as warm as it was last year

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Default My heats not as warm as it was last year

My heat in Goldie doesnt seem to be as hot at all. I re-cored my radiator, new coolant, Cummins T-stat, hoses, and its just not hot. It's warm, any suggestions on wtf's wrong? Do I have to much antifreeze maybe?? Goldie NEVER runs hot, runs real cool, I gota have some heat, winters knocking on my door. I even been pugging it in since it's getting around 50 or so, because that should give me some instant heat, shouldn't it?? Nothing, luke warm heat. What's up??? I need heat!!!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you burp the system after you did all that coolant work?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Diesel Bomber

Yep, did the burp thing. Theres no air in the system. I did that work at the begining of the summer. I got no leaks inside or out, It's never low.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

On mine there is a little vacuum diaphragm thing on the heater hoses in the engine compartment. Its on the 2 parallel line that run into the firewall. I dont know what its for but im thinking when you turn on heat it opens a valve and allows hot coolant to go into the heater core. Id check that out. Im not sure if thats its function but it sounds logical.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

sorry i found a TSB for your problem. i hope this link works.

https://files.me.com/kieronkohlmann/gtmowg

Last edited by kieron_kohlmann; 10-06-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
Billy D (10-07-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

if you engine warms up to normal running temp than it could be your heater core in the firewall. its a pain to change. took me about 5hrs but its worth the work for heat in the winter. if your motor isnt warming up then check the temp rating on the thermosdat you put in. it may not be the right one. just thinkin

Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Id look into that TSB. Its specific for a '90 d250, if you somehow put that thermostat in there so it is always open, then your truck will take forever to get hot. its easy, check your engine serial number first and if its affected see if your head has a letter stamped on it.

Billy D (10-07-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

any oil in ur antifreeze?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Diesel Bomber

My serial# is before the one one the TSB, am I safe with that? I got no oil in my coolant, think I should replace my heatercore?? I'm not looking foward to that job... Is there a thread on replacing the heatercore? I'm not to hip on the dash removal. This could be a nightmare

Old 10-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

negative dont replace your heater core. if its not broke dont fix it. Being your before the cut off your engine IS AFFECTED. Look and see if your head is stamped with those letter(s), you may need to grind that passage out larger.

Billy D (10-07-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by kieron_kohlmann
negative dont replace your heater core. if its not broke dont fix it. Being your before the cut off your engine IS AFFECTED. Look and see if your head is stamped with those letter(s), you may need to grind that passage out larger.

I called Cummins Bridgeway, their in my area, they had NOOOOOO info on nothing. When I asked the service dude, " where's the stamp onthe head", he had no idea. WTF, this is Cummins, they'de never heard of such a TSD. Can anyone tell me where to look for the stamp? There's a 7L on the front right side of the head, is this what i'm looking for? The dude said I have the right T-stat (part# anyways) and it's never ran hot, I drove Goldie to DC which is about 600 miles with the A/C boomin in 90 degree heat, and she never ran hot. I'm kinda disapointed in Cummins giving my the cold shoulder, them F'rs. That service dude kept saying it's a heater core problem, I guarantee it! That ********!!!

Originally Posted by kieron_kohlmann
On mine there is a little vacuum diaphragm thing on the heater hoses in the engine compartment. Its on the 2 parallel line that run into the firewall. I dont know what its for but im thinking when you turn on heat it opens a valve and allows hot coolant to go into the heater core. Id check that out. Im not sure if thats its function but it sounds logical.

sorry i found a TSB for your problem. i hope this link works.

https://files.me.com/kieronkohlmann/gtmowg
I got one of them too, I followed the vaccum line, it seems to have no cracks, or breaks, as fer the valve deal, i'm not fer sure

Last edited by Billy D; 10-07-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: My heats not as warm as it was last year