1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

1993 dodge w350..alternator will not charge

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 dodge w350..alternator will not charge

ok..this problem is driving me nuts.. I have a 1993 w350 that will not hold a charge...I've been studying all of the forums trying to find some solution that fits, but no luck so far...I started out replacing the voltage regulator...the one that was on the truck when I bought it was not a dodge part (so the one that I replaced it with wasn't either). it was wired into the blue wire going to the alternator (which I've come to learn is the ignition hot wire) and the green wire (that controls the field terminals) was left intact going to what I'd assume was the old clip for the stock voltage regulator. I hooked it up the same way the old one was. no change on the volt meter. I have another 1993 cummins parts truck that was charging just fine (go figure) so I took the alternator off it and put it on the truck that was having the problem..this time I had the new voltage regulator bypassed (meaning that I had the blue wire intact). and I left the green wire un-hooked (which as I understood it would have should have caused the alternator to go full charge)..and nothing...testing it that way should have by passed the voltage regulator and the PCM and proved that the alternator that I saw working in the other truck was charging this one...what am I missing guys? -Thanks Bob

Old 10-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

you probly just need to buy a new altenator and regulator. my dad went through 3 regulators before he changed out the altenator and regulator and now its fine.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the computer bad? Is this why a voltage regulator was added? Remove the voltage regulator completely and make sure the crank speed sensor is adjusted and clean and and actually connected. Crank speed sensor is on the dampener. Wire harness should have a connection at the front of engine at the intake manifold plate. If you must run an external regulator check THIS. Also the regulator must have a solid ground.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MAKE SURE THE HOUSING OF THE EXTERNAL REG IS GROUNDED ...DONT RELY ON THE MOUNTING SCREWS...THESE TRUCKS ARE NOTORIOUS FOR HAVE INADEQUATE FACTORY GROUNDS... AND YOU PROBABLY BURNT OUT THE EXT. VOLTAGE REG THEY ARE VERY POLARITY SENSITIVE ....FORGET TRYING TO WIRE IT THE WAY IT WAS..START NEW ..AND WIRE IT AS PER THE SCHEMATIC LINK STEVEINAZ GAVE YOU

Old 11-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was having the same prob. no body has said anything bout the battery. if the battery is older than dirt it wont accept the charge. i saw a dodge tech run a volt meter around the case of the battery and showed that i was loosing charge through the case. also replaced the alternator and volt regulator and she charges fine now

Old 03-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Default charging mystery

My glow plug timer is slow to even turn on when its cold and once i start the truck, the alternator wont charge til the timer cycles. When it's 30 degrees or colder, just turn they key and start, but it has to sit and run til something under the hood warms up and makes the glow plug cycle. If i decide to go ahead and drive down the road before it cycles, the air flow prevents it from warming up and it wont cycle til i stop and wait for it. Once the compartment is warm, it will usually cycle within a minute or two of starting..??? a

Old 03-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Diesel Fan
Default 1993 dodge w350..alternator will not charge

I had the same problem so I went to autozone and got the cheap voltage reg and still no charge tried anther cheap on samethin happened no charge. so I got the chrome more expensive regulator and it over charges an that's where I'm at now so I jus run with the lights on and put a larger battery on the ol girl.

MAHLE_12V

Old 03-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by '93dually
My glow plug timer is slow to even turn on when its cold and once i start the truck, the alternator wont charge til the timer cycles. When it's 30 degrees or colder, just turn they key and start, but it has to sit and run til something under the hood warms up and makes the glow plug cycle. If i decide to go ahead and drive down the road before it cycles, the air flow prevents it from warming up and it wont cycle til i stop and wait for it. Once the compartment is warm, it will usually cycle within a minute or two of starting..??? a
Glow plug timer??? what kinda 6bt cummins you have

Old 10-22-2011, 07:48 PM

Hey we got one of them 6bt cummins too. Our 92 cummins does pretty much the same thing '93dually said. But when you first start it up the altenator gauge says it charging a little. Not fully charging. Then theres a clicking relay under the hood near the battery on drivers side. The colder it is the longer it takes to kick in on full charge. The old man was driving it and he said it took about 2 miles before it started to fully charge. Then kicked back out a few miles later after driving. It never did that to me but I can find out why the manifold heater wont kick in when cold. Have juice to both solenoids for the manifold heater. Any ideas what going on?

Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

First off there are no glow plugs. Find a scan tool (see if you can find someone that will let ya borrow one) read codes and look at data read out. and see if the computer is even telling it to charge or not. Diagnostic connector for the 92 and 93 trucks are on the left fender well by the hood hinge. It is and L shaped connector.

Quick Reply: 1993 dodge w350..alternator will not charge