1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

OD on A518.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OD on A518.

trying to get my OD working and not having much luck, its a 2 wire connector on side of trans, one is a ground, is the other just a 12v constant source or does it run to some other switch? I put it on a toggle for now to see if it will kick on if i interupt ground but no luck. I dont have the dodge harness anymore so cant see if it did go somewhere else, also the dodge harness was all torn up before i yanked the motor..... Its in a 92 F350 ford now.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

overdrive was messed up on mine also, if you tried to make it go to ground with no avail, more than likely it is the overdrivce solenoid switch inside the transmission(accessible by removing pan). There is a SMEC control unit that when a certain temperature and/or speed is reached it sends the solenoid to ground and provides your upshift. You also have inputs from throttle position and another source(im drawing a blank at the moment). Hope this may help as i went round and round with mine trying to not go into the transmission and eliminating everything before i did, but the overdrive solenoid fixed it and i havent had any problems since.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Diesel Fan

Thats what im thinking as well because i went over everything i could at this point, how much is the solenoid and is it a pain to replace?

thanks!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Diesel Fan

im honestly not sure on either of those, i paid a reputable transmission shop($350) to go into mine as i dont have all necessary equipment to drain/fill/remove transmission stuff, im limited to what i can do and how much oil i can get on my driveway. i would say at least go with a good brand soenoid, probably in the 100-150 range, i wouldnt get a cheaper part as if the part fails prematurely your stuck going BACK inside the transmission. I thinks its above the valve body so you would have to remove at least that but i dont think its something that someone with good mechanical abilities could not take on, i just didn't have time or the equipment. good luck!!!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by snakebite2004
overdrive was messed up on mine also, if you tried to make it go to ground with no avail, more than likely it is the overdrivce solenoid switch inside the transmission(accessible by removing pan). There is a SMEC control unit that when a certain temperature and/or speed is reached it sends the solenoid to ground and provides your upshift. You also have inputs from throttle position and another source(im drawing a blank at the moment). Hope this may help as i went round and round with mine trying to not go into the transmission and eliminating everything before i did, but the overdrive solenoid fixed it and i havent had any problems since.
The SBEC provides ground to the solenoid engaging the OD. The SBEC is monitoring things like Throttle position, Vehicle Speed, Line Pressure, Etc. Thats really the only computer controlled circuit on that trans.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Diesel Fan

I dont have a TPS on mine anymore, it runs with dodge pcm and wont work with ford. The plug in the line for line pressure on drivers front side of trans, if thats not hooked up will it not interupt ground to OD even if its on a switch? Mine is unhooked, since i have no dodge PCM. The way i have it set up now is old chrysler A/C low psi switch in passanger side 3rd gear test port on trans case which is supposed to kick OD on around 40mph with my gearing but nothing, the switch is ran to ground on OD plug, then other prong on ac switch to a toggle in cab, then toggle is grounded, still wont kick it on.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Diesel Fan

When you over-ride the system and force the solenoid to ground and nothing happens, its the solenoid. It should not matter what you have or dont have hooked up, when you force it to ground it over rides EVERYTHING.

The following 2 users liked this post by snakebite2004:
C16 power (10-05-2010), kieron_kohlmann (10-05-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snakebite is right!! at the trans the orange wire can be grounded to get 4th gear .if the trans still wont shift its in od solenoid.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:46 AM
Diesel Fan

glad this post has helped at least a couple of people. I dont get a chance to get on here much but try to give back to this website as it has given me a lot of knowledge and "tricks of the trade" with my first gen.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue, make sure you're getting 12V to the one side of the solenoid. Mine is still running through a toggle since the computer in mine is hosed. But as for replacing the solenoid, it's a mild pain in the ****, have to drop the valve body to get the solenoid out and replaced. It's a $45 part through Dodge, just make sure you get the 2 wire one, not the 3 wire.