1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Southbend Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Southbend Clutch

I just bought the southbend clutch and go it in today. I did some reading on them and they seem to be a good clutch. Although what i have read was good id like to get some opinions of people who have had the clutch in there vehicle. I read that some people say they are noisey but then again some people say they cant really here them. Read my signature to see what i have on my truck and well this clutch is going to workout.

Thanks Tony

Old 09-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Site Sponsor - Alligator Performance
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Which South Bend did you get?

With your settup I would go with a CON-OFE

That is the clutch I am running in my 94 12 valve and my truck dynoed 398 and 988 torque. Clutch holds up just fine and I'm not nice to it at all. It has been in my truck for 3 years now.

I also run a South Bend Dual Disk in my 2003 and love it. Peter is one helluva guy and builds a great product. You couldn't ask for a better clutch.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

i have a southbend in mine. its a good clutch and grabs very well. but is it noiser than HELL. it drives me nuts. i have 4 layers of dyanamat extreme through my ENTIRE cab and you still hear it rattlin. its bad enough to where you have to yell to hear someone talking. if i could get rid of that problem itd be an awesome clutch. and yes peter has shown me probably the best service ive ever seen. i just wish the dang thing wasnt so loud, my wife doesnt even like riding in it because of it

Old 09-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Site Sponsor - Alligator Performance
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine makes no noise what so ever.....

But I have a lot of diesel buddies who are running south bend clutches. Some are loud some are not.....

I don't know why some are and some aren't

I used to have a haisly machine clutch that was so freakin' noisy people would stop me in town and tell me something sounded broken

Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

mine makes absolutely no noise... thats weird that those ones are. i also have no problem with drivability or slipping. im not making much power though.

i could see thee dual disk center pressure plate rattling if thats what other guys are talking about.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the quiet ones are probably the "single" ones, and the noisy ones are "dual plate" models. the dual-plate models have flywheel, floating-double-sided plate, clutch disc, and then pressure plate. The "floating" plate becomes a noisemaker when the pressure's off. whereas the singles are just flywheel, disc, pressure-plate, and you get a full disengagement.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Con OFE on mine. It's been in there for about 65k miles and not one noise, hickup, slip nothing. Mine dyno'd last time around 340 hp and since the mods I've made, I'd bet it's in the 380-400 range now and nothing to worry about with the clutch. It's a bit grabby when starting off with a trailer, but nothing you can't adjust your driving style to smooth it out. It can chatter some when backing a heavy trailer, but then I just put it in 4low and it works great. When this one wears out, I won't consider anything else.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

mine is the 0090 single disc one and its really noisy. maybe because its a cheap one i dont know but i couldnt afford a nicer one at the time

Old 09-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a valair single disk in my truck and its noisy sometimes and sometimes not it has a mind of its own

Old 09-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

im actually purchasing the double disc south bend for my getrag nxt week and was wondering about that!!!

Quick Reply: Southbend Clutch