1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Speed sensor/Cable driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Speed sensor/Cable driver

As of late... I've been dreaming of filthy, thick, black smoke rolling out of a set of express stacks on a stepside... And in the same breath, my current rig, as much as i love it, is an absolute wreck, first time a scale cop gets curious and wants a look at it, im walkin, they'd tow the **** for sure!

If things keep moving along like they are, ill be able to start my newest project in the next 2 weekends or so, I'm planning on cutting up my '90, and putting the cummins and all associated driveline riggin' in to a 1980 half ton shortbox I've got(previous project that just got pushed aside and left sitting for years...)

I've been going over this in my head for quite some time now, and I think I have most of the problems I will be up against accounted for...

The biggest unsolved issue at the moment is the speedometer, I like the cab and dash that the old trucks have, but my '90 has the electic speed sensor, do any of you know if there is a difference on the actual drive for this on the shaft in the t-case, and the old cable style ones? ive been hoping that i could just grab a speedo drive off of an older 205 and just jam it into this one, but I'm unsure as to wether or not they are driven with the same kind of helical thread on the shaft?(or if they are even interchangeable in the bolting-it-on terms?)

any help on this one would be really appreciated on this one(and im sure theres more questions coming throughout this job!), any parts for Cummins trucks(or even just Dodges in general) command a premium dollar around here, so i dont want to gamble on buying stuff that might not work

Thanks, Cory

Old 08-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

Howdy Cory!

Well first of all you cant just change out the little box in the TC dodge did 80 something different gear combos and that little box is your "ratio drive adapter" it is in sync with the gear inside the TC and if changed with some other one your spedo could read +10-50 or -10-50 MPH I would keep your electric spedo and just get a new drive adapter or try checking the gears in the spedo cluster

Brice

Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do the speedometers come apart? I mean in the sense that maybe, up at the guage end, i could take the electric assembly off of the back of the '90 speedo, and use it on the old style guage? essentialy just change the face plate? (i do understand there may be complications with speedo numbers/sweep corresponding, but thats not a concern yet)