1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

weird clunking feeling

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts
Default weird clunking feeling

hey guys i got something funky going on with my transmission and i dont even know where to begin with it. its a getrag 5 speed. when im driving normal everytime i either give it some throttle (like even just the slightest bit) or let off the gas it jerks me back and forth. almost feels the same as when a u joint clunk when you give or get off the gas. but i have all new u joints and its something in the tranny im pretty sure. i had a bronco that did the same thing but never figured it out.

any got any ideas?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

like the whole tranny or the truck

Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Diesel Bomber

well you can feel it through the whole truck its pretty harsh but you can definitely tell its the tranny thats causing it

Old 07-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

have you checked your trans mount

Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Diesel Bomber

not yet thats what i was thinking. whats the best way to test it

Old 07-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rearend play? mine doesit and when i took the box off and looked at the rearend i noticed a decent amount of play. if you kept the stock rearend it may not be keeping a hold of all the torque and is wearin out the rearend? just my experience

Old 07-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by hickracetruck
rearend play? mine doesit and when i took the box off and looked at the rearend i noticed a decent amount of play. if you kept the stock rearend it may not be keeping a hold of all the torque and is wearin out the rearend? just my experience
x2 check the pinion for play

Old 07-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Diesel Bomber

i have a corporate 14 bolt that is just rebuilt and has no play so i dont think thats it. but im swapping an AAM 11.5 into it tomorrow so if that was the problem i guess ill know then

Old 07-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does that occasionally, (Getrag) but I have to MAKE it do it,,,tap the throttle quickly, and then back off. I thougth it might be my jackshaft. Not sure, as smooth as it runs out on the road, how it can be in the tranny. Do ya feel it in the shifter,,, (bad mount)? My mount is new, but seems pretty soft.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tl,

Just been thinking about the clunking you were talking about. I have the same thing happening,,but sounds like on a smaller scale, or not near as bad. I thought about the carrier bearing,,,I know the bearing part is good, but the rubber part is getting weak. I don't know if that would cause it or not. Going to change it out soon anyways.

Just wondering,,, how old is your clutch? I never checked mine before I swapped the engine in, but does the Cummins/Getrag clutch have springs in it like a Ford or Chevy gas engine?? I've worked on cars and trucks with gas motors all my life, and have seen the springs in the clutch collapse or break, and even eat into the center plate that holds them in place. Are these clutches built the same, and could this cause it? You mentioned it was like a bad U-joint,,, If the springs are bad, then it will let the clutch center have back and forth "play" in it. If yours does it all the time, and mine less often, maybe yours has more springs broken?? When mine does it, you can feel it all through the truck, but more of the "klunk" sound is in front of the shifter,,,,, clutch?? Not sure of an easy way to check it.

Just a thought,,,, what do ya think guys???????????

Quick Reply: weird clunking feeling