1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

at my wits end with this front end

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Sad at my wits end with this front end

like a typical dodge owner i've had it with this crappy front end and im about to take the truck into a field and light it on fire.

trying to eliminate the bounce/wobble in the front end.. so far..

I replaced the tierods, aligned then
adjusted the steering box, huge help
all new wheel bearings
full kingpin rebuild
tires balanced
new drag link
new steering shaft
tires properly inflated and the duals in the rear are properly aligned
sway bar links are good
rims centered using the cone lugnuts

and its still bouncy.... the whole dash vibrates, but I feel it less in the wheel now. wtf am I missing?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

people are probably sick of me saying this because i post it every time someone has loose feeling front end but.... did you properly torque your wheel bearings? i didnt once and the tires would rock back and forth quite a bit.

if not that, my guess would be something in the suspension like leaf spring bushings or a cracked frame around the steering box?

Old 06-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

not a guarantee but its worth a shot checking your drivelines. an out of balanced driveline can be very uncomfortable to drive

Old 06-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Diesel Bomber

wheel bearing thing caught me once.. so i took it as a good time to replace em all.

no cracks i can find by the box.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by tltruckparts
not a guarantee but its worth a shot checking your drivelines. an out of balanced driveline can be very uncomfortable to zmdrive
where at? 4x4 is not engaged so even with 6month old ujoints (all on the truck), there not spinning up front.

Last edited by Budgreen; 06-27-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by Budgreen
wheel bearing thing caught me once.. so i took it as a good time to replace em all.

no cracks i can find by the box.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

where at? 4x4 is not engaged so even with 6month old ujoints (all on the truck), there not spinning up front.
u joints have nothing to do with balancing on a driveline. does your front driveline spin when your moving even though the truck is not engaged (most trucks do). drivelines require balancing that only a driveline shop can do just like balancing a tire. to eliminate that concern you can take the front driveline out and see if it still does it.

and have you had someone check the balance on your tires lately?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Diesel Bomber

run with the hubs unlocked, and i just had it all apart over the past 2 days and its pretty apparent none of it has been spinning.

guess I can have balance checked again, NTB is gonna get rid of their lifetime balancing option as much as I bring em back to be checked .

further info. the shocks are the better parts store ones, forget what brand tho.
the front springs are starting to sag, bushings r good they look newer.

Last edited by Budgreen; 06-27-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by Budgreen
run with the hubs unlocked, and i just had it all apart over the past 2 days and its pretty apparent none of it has been spinning.

guess I can have balance checked again, NTB is gonna get rid of their lifetime balancing option as much as I bring em back to be checked .

further info. the shocks are the better parts store ones, forget what brand tho.
the front springs are starting to sag, bushings r good they look newer.
the front driveline should still spin when 4x4 is not engaged. but without the hubs locked it wont spin the axle shafts to put the power to the ground. just try taking it out (its free, and easy) and seeing what it does. if it still does it throw it back in it wont cost you anything but 15 minutes of time.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tltruckparts
the front driveline should still spin when 4x4 is not engaged. but without the hubs locked it wont spin the axle shafts to put the power to the ground. just try taking it out (its free, and easy) and seeing what it does. if it still does it throw it back in it wont cost you anything but 15 minutes of time.
why would the front driveshaft spin when your in 2wd?Why have a tranfercase stick then?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by stillcummin
why would the front driveshaft spin when your in 2wd?Why have a tranfercase stick then?
Most new trucks do, they unlock in the transfer case only but the so called "automatic hubs" are just hubs that are locked all the time. Some Toyotas unlock in the front differential to I think. With the old maunal locking hubs, as long as the hubs are unlocked and the transfer case is in 2wd the drive shaft or front end should not spin at all

Old 06-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you made sure the rear drive shaft is in phase, as in all u-joints line up and a slip yoke isn't installed properly? Have you checked your tires to make sure they don't have a broken belt or something?

Quick Reply: at my wits end with this front end