1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

beef up my auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default beef up my auto trans

I have a 91 1/2 D350 dodge dully 2wd its has an auto trans with od, i plan on makin some more power with the truck. i got the trans out to be fixed i would like to put some good gear in it to hold up , any ideas ?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts
Old 05-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First on the list should probably be a big mean shift kit, as agressive as your willing to live with, eliminate as much of that sloppy overlap between gears as possible, this makes a huge difference in longevity

A good, aftermarket converter should probably be next, i personally dont run one(only due to a lack of funding) but from what ive heard, everyone that is using one wouldnt have it any other way

I don't know how much power your talking about putting to the thing, but one of these transmissions, even just rebuilt to stock spec's will take a very impressive amount of abuse before something comes undone

Old 05-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Diesel Fan

thanks for the info

Old 05-30-2010, 02:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DirtyDozen
First on the list should probably be a big mean shift kit, as agressive as your willing to live with, eliminate as much of that sloppy overlap between gears as possible, this makes a huge difference in longevity

A good, aftermarket converter should probably be next, i personally dont run one(only due to a lack of funding) but from what ive heard, everyone that is using one wouldnt have it any other way

I don't know how much power your talking about putting to the thing, but one of these transmissions, even just rebuilt to stock spec's will take a very impressive amount of abuse before something comes undone
dirty it sounds like you really need a good torque converter!! haha
with what you have dont to your truck you would have a jammer over how much better your truck will pull!!!! you wont believe it till you try it!!!!

i would do the torque converter first!! doesnt matter how beefy you trans is built if your sloppy converter is pushing super heated fluid through everything else in there its not gonna help things out!!!!!
i want a manual valve body and a ratchet shifter!!!

Old 05-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dieseldawg
dirty it sounds like you really need a good torque converter!! haha
with what you have dont to your truck you would have a jammer over how much better your truck will pull!!!! you wont believe it till you try it!!!!

i would do the torque converter first!! doesnt matter how beefy you trans is built if your sloppy converter is pushing super heated fluid through everything else in there its not gonna help things out!!!!!
i want a manual valve body and a ratchet shifter!!!
me too....like you wouldn't believe

Old 05-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had always heard that the dodge autos were weak so evidently thats wrong?

Old 05-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Like everything, they have there weaknesses. The torque converter being the #1, shift kit is a good improvement, then they do have to problem with the backflow when it is off which drains fluid from the torque converter, and then for the guys that haul real heavy loads then upgraded cooling system would be a good idea UNLESS, you are one of the lucky ones that has the auxiliary cooler under the bedside then you would have to worry about temp all that much. But the cooling is that same with any OE setup with any truck if your pushing it to it's max often.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by coalrollin12v
i had always heard that the dodge autos were weak so evidently thats wrong?
With an aftermarket torque converter, upgraded clutch-pacs, and a bombed valve-body, I'm able to put 450HP to the ground and run low 13's in the quarter with a 6400lb W250. I've just recently managed to pop my stock/OEM intermediate shaft (over 243,000 miles on it) launching the heap with over 25psig coming off the line.

Maintained correctly, they are good reliable transmissions (with reasonable power).

Old 05-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My dad has gotten 220k out of his, and that is with very poor maint. History and has hauled some pretty good loads in it's life.

Quick Reply: beef up my auto trans