1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Alternator problem!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mad Alternator problem!!!!!!

Ok,, I am getting really ticked off at my truck, which I havent owned barely 3 weeks or so.
My problem is I am not getting charge to my batteries from the alternator. How do I check the alternator myself so I can eliminate that its that alternator? I have read that the voltage regulator is in the puter on 93 dodges. So cant check that. I want to check the alternator first. I have also heard that a bad CPS can do this too? Make it not charge?
Anyone have this problem in the past or any help?

Old 05-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Here's what the 1st gen alternator needs to work...

A good ground. (Big black wire going to the engine block.) There should be no resistance between where this wire comes from the alternator and the negative post of the battery.

A connection to the battery positive. (Big wire going straight to the battery positive.) There should be no resistance between where this wire comes from the alternator and the positive post of the battery.

An ignition-on positive. (Small blue wire going to the alternator.) This wire should have as much voltage as the positive post of the battery when you turn the key to "run".

A regulator supply. (Small green wire going to alternator next to the blue wire.) This is the wire that comes from the regulator or ECM; the more voltage on this wire, the lower the charging voltage of the alternator. The alternator should full-field if you unplug this wire. Typically it should have 4-7~ish volts.

Check to see what wire isn't giving you what you need. If everything is right, the problem is probably in the alternator.

The following users liked this post:
Mudbug (05-04-2010)
Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Refer to the same thing being addressed in a current post. All you have to do is take a little time to do a little reading and you'll have all the knowledge ya need to start at the begging and diagnose with out spending loads of money.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-ge...nt-charge.html

Last edited by pewder; 05-04-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
Mudbug (05-04-2010)
Old 05-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Great info

Old 05-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Begle1
Here's what the 1st gen alternator needs to work...

A good ground. (Big black wire going to the engine block.) There should be no resistance between where this wire comes from the alternator and the negative post of the battery.

A connection to the battery positive. (Big wire going straight to the battery positive.) There should be no resistance between where this wire comes from the alternator and the positive post of the battery.

An ignition-on positive. (Small blue wire going to the alternator.) This wire should have as much voltage as the positive post of the battery when you turn the key to "run".

A regulator supply. (Small green wire going to alternator next to the blue wire.) This is the wire that comes from the regulator or ECM; the more voltage on this wire, the lower the charging voltage of the alternator. The alternator should full-field if you unplug this wire. Typically it should have 4-7~ish volts.

Check to see what wire isn't giving you what you need. If everything is right, the problem is probably in the alternator.
That break down should be put into the sticky!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great!! Thanks for the info. I get frustrated when I have no idea what to do or look for. That info was like getting a steak dinner when Im starving. Now I can actually do something good under the hood!!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Let us know how it goes, if that for some reason ya still can't get it I'm sure someone will have some more ideas.