1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Spare bits and pieces

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spare bits and pieces

If you regularly drive your first gen on long trips in the middle of no where what spare parts do you pack along with you? Are there any special tools that you might need that a person might not think to carry normally? On the spare parts im talkin about things you could fit behind your seat that have a tendency to go out often.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

always carry a spare fuel filter

Old 04-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel filter is a good one! thats exactly the kind of stuff im talkin about

Old 04-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure you always have the correct size of wrench for the fuel line, in case of running out of fuel you can bleed the lines.

And always carry a small section of water line that will fit those small water hoses and two extra hose clamps.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:24 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

new or used serpentine belt is good to carry too

Old 04-21-2010, 06:20 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fuel solenoid, old belt, fuel filter, oklahoma socket set, cheap 3/8" dr. socket set, camping shovel(i have a 2wd), booster cables, tow strap( only used for dragging powerchokes home so far), flashlight, snakecharmer, and grate from old bbq grill and sealed bag of charcoal. And extra 5 gal can of diesel. Ofcourse this is in my toolbox though.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

What's in your toolbox? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Started this thread a while back, lots of good replys and gave me some ideas

Last edited by 93old smoke; 04-21-2010 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since I make a living with my First Gen, I'm on the road constantly. I have a couple of 'War Bags' with: fuses, extra wire, butt connectors, tape, new relays, small tub of bearing grease, small cig lighter air compressor, emergency flares, extra Rotella, jumper cables, flashlight, lg and sm universl wrenchs...then I have a little toolbox with wire cutters, strippers, cotter pins, sockets etc. I need to toss in some extra bearings and a bearing socket.
I'm probably leaving some important things out, just a quick run down. It is possible to pack the minimum and perform a quick fix to get you down the road in most cases. It just takes a little spontaneous creativity.
I made a jump wire for a golf cart out of the underwire of my bra one time because I didnt have wire cutters to get a little wire off the fence. On the backside of a ranch and almost dark...Victoria Secret saved the day.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:35 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

mcgyver doesnt have anything on BrokenG

Old 04-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Right on. I didn't want to admit it but I also keep some baling wire handy. I'd rather NOT but you just never know.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

My toolbox is so crammed I don't think I can fit anything else. I have:
- spade shovel with a long handle
- 30' long 6" wide tow strap out of an Army wrecker
- 15' bungee tow cable on the front bumper
- Hi-Lift jack
- lug wrench
- extra Rotella, anti-freeze/water, gear oil, grease, ATF, fuel, fuel filter, extra v-band clamps, extra wire, PLENTY of electrical tape and parachute cord
- 320-piece craftsman socket & wrench set that fits perfectly on one side of the box plus a toolbag full of screwdrivers, pliers, 2.5 lb sledge, vice-grips and some other essentials
- fuses, belt, bungee cords, bailing twine and ratchet straps
- jumper cables
- Carhartt bibs
- Small power inverter
- d-cell Mag light and 2 Surefire LED flashlights
- Remote-control high-intensity Go-Light
- ice chest of Lone Star beer
- camping chair
- I have fishing rod holders built in to the back of my toolbox and a slide-in rod holder/ fishing stand with a fighting chair built in (my name is DieselSharker for a reason)

All of this is what I carry everywhere I go, except for the fishing platform, not just on long trips. I HATE being stranded anywhere. Eventually I will get an onboard air compressor as well.
When I am wheeling or on the beach for a weekend of shark & red fishing I'll have extra axle shafts, u-joints, bearings, fullsize spare, a mini torch, etc. If I'm fishing the back of my truck is full of rods, 3 ice chests, a bunch of milk crates with random fishing gear in them and a Kayak.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I forgot the most important things....my XM radio tuner and my Zune!.....OH, and my .40 Walther P99 and a Winchester .30-30

Last edited by DieselSharker; 04-21-2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost