1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

TRUCK WONT START

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TRUCK WONT START

the ole truck just quit on me this morning idk why ....i turned the key and the wait to start light stayed on for maybe 1/2 a second and then i turned it over and it just turns over doesnt feel like it want to start at all. What could be the problem the truck ran fine bout 4-5 days ago and then i let it sit and now this. Could it be the lift pump....help

Old 04-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it still have the electric fuel shut off on the back of the pump, once they go bad the magnet won't hold the little ball up, thus cutting off the fuel, also check the wire to it and see if its got juice.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

exactly. always check your shut off solenoid first see if you got fuel flowing from you lift pump.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks guys im at work right now with the parents ill check tht when i get home tonight soo you think tht the only thing it could be?

Old 04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its the best place to start, sometimes you can run a jumper wire to it and get it to kick on and let the truck start, or you can remove it and start the truck as well.

if thats a no go, you can check the supply line and see if your lift pump is working.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

a diesel system isnt very complicated so its relatively simple. undo your fuel fine and the IP between there and the lift pump, crank it over see if its moving fuel (thats why we use fuel pressure gauges).

but before that check to see if you got power to the shut down solenoid, should be a keyed 12 volts. if you got juice there, crack an injector line while cranking it over, it should squirt pretty good. if its a weak squirt or bubbles coming out either your shut down solenoid is shot, is possibly an IP issue.

thats a good place to start. check to make sure you got fuel and power to the solenoid, check back, and well go from there

Old 04-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks guys for the input ill get back to ya'll tonight or tommorow

Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, if you turned the screw too far you'll pop the end off that plunger. When you pull the old one out, be sure to clean it out good. If it still doesn't start, loosen your fitting and crank it to see if your getting fuel....we'll be standing by.......

Old 04-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My truck had a similar situation. It would intermittently die going down the road, usually over bumps. Ended up finding the terminal on the solenoid was not quite loose enough to wiggle, but when it was jarred just right, it would lose continuity and kill the fuel. Didn't take very long to fix, but I procrastinated until I couldn't stand it any longer. Replaced the power feed wire to the solenoid, no problems since. God bless Chrysler electrical systems....

The following users liked this post:
big bad diesel 416 (04-17-2010)
Old 04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

wow my truck lost prime and thats why it wouldnt turn over i feel like an idiot asking bout what it was shes a running good tho idk why she woulda lost prime ?

Quick Reply: TRUCK WONT START