1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

no intake heater and no speedo

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no intake heater and no speedo

hi Im new here and have a few questions about my first gen I just bought. now i have read that the two arent connected in any way but it sure seems funny that they quit working the same day anyway my first question is. is it common for the vss senders to go bad? cause ill just spend the sixty bucks and hope that fixes it rather than trouble shooting I absolutley hate wiring and this truck seems like its going to be a night mare!

second question is my blinkers and brake lights work sometimes and sometimes they dont and they all dont quit at the same time the left blinker will work sometimes and the right wont then the right will work and the left wont and sometimes they all work any common issues with these ? maybe a combination switch Or??????

thanks in advance and sorry for the bad punctuation

oh yeah its a 91.5 4x4 standard cab

Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

its most likely not your vss, it was a common problem on the older dodges, there is a plastic gear in the speedo, that would break not allowing the speedo to turn anymore. Does your odometer still work? As far as the blinkers and brake lights, it sounds like you have a bad multifuntion switch, what i would do is go to where your turn signal flasher is and test the voltage with a multimeter, you should have 12 volts with the turn signal switch thrown either way. It would be best to test when its not working

Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Check your backup/brake light sockets, common crusty spot, I've replaced every one I've owned Napa sells them.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, if your truck has an L-shaped adapter between the VSS and the transmission, check it out ...that was the culprit of the "No-Speedo Blues" on my old first gen.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

after i first got mine it had all sorts of troubles and it was all ground ground ground
3 days and lits of cussin later it worked fine

Old 03-19-2010, 09:34 AM

damn thnaks for the quick responses guys I have checked the speedo reductionbox off the transfer case and it all seems to work ok . the odomoeter reads .5 after driving about 250 miles

Old 03-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ON THAT "L" SHAPED ADAPTER UN SCREW IT DIRECTLY OFF THE TRANSFER CASE ITS LIKE A 7/8 0R 1" CONNECTOR WITH 3/4 THREADS...THERE SHOULD BE A 1"OR 2" LONG SQUARE PIN THAT COMES OUT ....THIS SHOULD EXTEND PAST THE CONNECTOR... ON MINE 1/2 RUSTED AND BROKE OFF IN THE T-CASE SHAFT....TRY USING A CORDLESS DRILL ON LOW GEAR.. ATTACH CHUCK TO PIN...YOU CAN OPEN DRIVER SIDE DOOR AND WATCH SPEDO ODOM ...TURN IGN ON.... THE 2WIRE HARNESS SHOULD BE LONG ENOUGH TO KNEEL NEXT TO THE TRUCK AND SEE THE DASH...THIS IF IT WORKS WILL CONFIRM YOUR ODOM ELECTRICALLY WORKS ......MINE BROKE IN THE NP205 T-CASE OUT PUT GEAR ...WHICH I AM CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR..... GIVE IT A SHOT BEFORE YOU GO PULLING EVERYTHING APART ....P.S JUST TAP THE TRIGGER ON THE DRILL IT DOSE NOT TAKE TOO MANY RPMS TO PIN IT AT 100MPH

Old 03-21-2010, 03:08 PM

hey what 205 parts do you need do you need the shaft that screws into the tail housing i got it except the yellow speedo gear and 29 spline stuff i got just about everything a 205 could have Ill hook you up