1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

TO TURN OR NOT TO TURN. That is the question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TO TURN OR NOT TO TURN. That is the question?

My truck is a 1991 W250 non I/C,getrag,4x4. I baught it from my best friend's grandpa and let me tell ya, it took a lot of beggin. I really got a good one. I'm the 2nd owner and truck only has 120,000 miles on it. I've had the truck for over a year now and all I've done so far is change the oil (amsoil) and put some front axle joints in. This is my first diesel still learning about it. All my other trucks (80's model Chevys) have lift kits, hopped up motors,trannys,axles you name it. What I'm saying is it seems like I should do somthing to the dodge. The only thing is, I use use the truck for hauling. Sometimes heavy. For the question to turn or not to turn. I need to know what? Injector timming,fuel pin,smoke screw,main fuel screw,or anything else you can think of. And how much to turn it without tearing stuff up? I guess I have been hesitant,do to lack of knowledge. Nothing crazy just a little help up the hills.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I would not turn it up if you use it towing heavy. Its to hard on the rest of the truck. I have 2 thats turned way up and I have one used for work and that is stock. If you do get some power in it do it right. Thats means its going to cost money for stuff to last. Everyone else will fry me but thats my opinion.

The following users liked this post:
martymc81 (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Richie O
I would not turn it up if you use it towing heavy. Its to hard on the rest of the truck. I have 2 thats turned way up and I have one used for work and that is stock. If you do get some power in it do it right. Thats means its going to cost money for stuff to last. Everyone else will fry me but thats my opinion.
I understand what you're saying. I have a 85 Monte ss that I built a hot 383 stroker for,now
I can't keep tranny's in it. But it still seems like there could be a few mods that I could get away with. As long as I don't go crazzy and also watch my right foot. I kinda went crazzy on the Monte and my right foot is a size 13 and made of lead .

Old 03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

GAUGES!!!!!!

Then think about tweeking. Gotta be able to monitor that motor so nothing gets messed up.

martymc81 (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by martymc81
I've had the truck for over a year now and all I've done so far is change the oil (amsoil) and put some front axle joints in.
Have you overfilled the Getrag with some quality synchromesh fluid? That would be next on my list of things to do if I were you.

martymc81 (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Diesel Fan

I should have tried to be more clear. There are some things I've already learned from this website like where adjustments are made and how to make them. I guess what I need to know is stuff like what the gauges should read stock, what the perameters are,witch adjustments can I make to get that little edge. You know some specifics.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
Have you overfilled the Getrag with some quality synchromesh fluid? That would be next on my list of things to do if I were you.
Your on the right track of what I'm looking for. Actually I just found out about that so the answer to your question is not yet. But when I baught the truck I did change all the fluids diffs,tranny,transfer I used 10-30 mobile1 extendid performance normal fill level in the rag. Planning on useing amsoil with the overfill. Could you discribe why overfilling is good,what it does,and the easiest way to do it. Please&thankyou

Last edited by martymc81; 03-17-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

The Getrag is a tallish canted-to-rear-in-the-1stGen-Dodge-Cummins gearbox. So the input and pilot can be starved for lube. Easiest way to overfill is put a long piece of plastic tubing or fuel line in one of the top PTO bolt holes, run it up into the engine bay, stick a little funnel on the end and pour away. Slowly, of course.

martymc81 (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Diesel Fan

Very help full. How about the motor?

Old 03-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Get atleast a pyro and boost gauge first, then start tweaking the pump. Get a 3200 governor spring, $16.95 and play with the AFC adjustment. Later if you need more, turn the full power screw in a turn.

martymc81 (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 03:04 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonfriedlin
Get atleast a pyro and boost gauge first, then start tweaking the pump. Get a 3200 governor spring, $16.95 and play with the AFC adjustment. Later if you need more, turn the full power screw in a turn.
This plus a fuel pin, I recommended one of the M&H pins, and a super hx40 Turbo.

martymc81 (03-17-2010)

Quick Reply: TO TURN OR NOT TO TURN. That is the question?