1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Heater/Window Power Wire at Ignition Switch gets HOT

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater/Window Power Wire at Ignition Switch gets HOT

I have a 93 Dodge D250. The power wire coming in to the ignition switch and the heater blower/window motor wire going out becomes HOT when the components are on. The wire going out goes to the fuse panel. I have replaced the ignition switch because over time it became hot enough to melt and crack the shroud under the steering column. I have bi-passed and tested most all connections. Can someone assist me with solving this wire heating problem. Just ask if you need more info. Thanks

Old 03-03-2010, 06:52 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

welcome to diesel bombers first off and is it orginial wiring and what about your heater motor can draw lots of amps if its not in good shape and you said you checked your connections for being corroded or loose a bad ground wire maybe

Old 03-03-2010, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the welcome, I've been working on this problem for months. I have replaced the heater blower as I thought that the bushings may be dragging due to the play in the shift. The simplest way I can explain it is: I have pulled the wires out of the ignition switch (the power in and the wire to the fuse panel) touching those together with the engine on or off, with the blower on high the wires get HOT. Touching the wires and just running the windows up and down the wire gets HOT. I've ran a jump wire from the power in (to the ignition switch) down to the fuse box the wire gets HOT. I've gone straight from the battery to the wire going to the fuse box, still it gets HOT. I jumped a wire from a seperate vehicle and the wire from the ignition switch to the fuse box still gets HOT. I've taken loose the connector behind the glove box and it gets HOT. I've individually jumped wires around the control head with no luck.
I know this is a lot to take in but the only way to run the blower with out a wire getting hot is straight from the battery. The kicker is that the window motor causes the wire to get HOT. That tells me it is a problem before the fuse box. I don't know too much of the relay locations (or what they look like) or ground points that may be bad. I went to Dodge and they gave me the repair manual with ALL the wiring diagrams but it really doesnt help if you dont know what the relays look like. Reply back if this helps.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:19 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

you need to figure out where your relays are and start checking for a bad ground or your wires at your fuse box and maybe somebody will jump in here and give us some help

Old 03-15-2010, 07:19 PM

Hey I got an update of sorts. I was told by a diesel mechanic that the over heating wire was a maufacturer recall years ago. Has anyone heard this or know how to get recall work done?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good luck. They have a certain date period that you have to bring the truck in by. And I'm sure that date has long since expired. So your best bet is talk to the dealership and find out what needs to be replaced, buy it, and do the work yourself.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the good OLE dodge crappy wires. Everything gets hot. I had the heater motor switch get hot and burn the contact right out of the switch. Many people over the years have had there headlight switch and wires go up in smoke. Any bad or dirty connection will put them over the edge. If you want you could wire some relays in and get rid of the heavy amp loads. Kind of a pain, but a solution.