1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Help No Speedometer or Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by pewder

ha ha. Wow! Scratch the mirrored part, to many beers tonight.
beer is good

as to the prob at hand iam looking for the color of the wires to help your search here gimme a few

Old 03-30-2010, 04:07 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I know exactly without looking at the tranny.I checked the neutral safety switch oops.I have read I can put a + to one side and switched - to the other side to turn on the overdrive,I know what I am doing after work tonight.Awesome I can't wait.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The colors on those will be a orange w/white strip and a blue. Ha ha. Keep in mind I am color blind so don't quote me on that blue, it way be purple.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Diesel Fan

I put a ground on my od switch and wallaa overdrive is there.but overdrive is immed after 3rd gear and doesnt really downshift good now.is there a way to make it work properly without having to put a switch on the dash.I read something about a pressure switch in the governor port anybody hear of that?I am excited even though it's not working the way it was designed
I do still have tps shorted or open and od switch shorted or open???

Last edited by reddpup; 03-30-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Diesel Fan

What I would do is rig up a test light to the flue wire and go for a ride. Make sure that wire is powered all the time. I;ve had a couple guys have a short and when they hit a bump the light/pwr would go out which would kick the o.d out. Once you are certain you have pwr all the time, the next step is to manually ground out the front wire and make sure it holds when you have it engaged for any length of time untill you disengage the switch. If that checks out, a proper working tps or Pot setup should work. If it does not, I would check the wiring heading down to the trans and verify the pcm is working right. Any questions give me a call

Old 11-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Default Similar Problems

My laundry list includes:

OD cuts out, Alternator function reduces or quits and speedo goes out. Is this too a PCM issue (ya think?)

I also have other issues stemming from neglect/botched electrical repair that may be contributing. Hard to say, but let's assume the first item is all from the same problem source....

Old 11-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys I have a problem or a question that falls into this category. I seem to have no time to research this but my OD works after the trans is warmed up but it seems like the speedo has to say I am doin between 55 and 60 before it will kick in. At first I thought that it was an issue with the trans but when it goes into OD it takes off like a shot and is solid as hell. My question is I know on a gas there is an adjustable cable for the kickdown that would affect this. I should also mention if I put any more than half throttle even gently it will not hold OD til I hit 60 on the speedo. Also will mention speedo is 12 mph off so 60 is actually bout 72. this means OD is not engaging until around 68. Any ideas? sorry this was so long!

Old 11-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornbinder Driver
My laundry list includes:

OD cuts out, Alternator function reduces or quits and speedo goes out. Is this too a PCM issue (ya think?)

I also have other issues stemming from neglect/botched electrical repair that may be contributing. Hard to say, but let's assume the first item is all from the same problem source....
Most likely that is your computer going out your ac stop working also? Mine did the same thing for about 3 or 4 months before it quit altogether. Had it rebuilt through rockauto.com

Originally Posted by 98cummins
Hey guys I have a problem or a question that falls into this category. I seem to have no time to research this but my OD works after the trans is warmed up but it seems like the speedo has to say I am doin between 55 and 60 before it will kick in. At first I thought that it was an issue with the trans but when it goes into OD it takes off like a shot and is solid as hell. My question is I know on a gas there is an adjustable cable for the kickdown that would affect this. I should also mention if I put any more than half throttle even gently it will not hold OD til I hit 60 on the speedo. Also will mention speedo is 12 mph off so 60 is actually bout 72. this means OD is not engaging until around 68. Any ideas? sorry this was so long!
Try adjusting the TPS sensor and make sure the TV cable is adjusted correctly

Old 11-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Default Still Blows!

AC still functioning.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Dumb question but is there a read out on the sight with the specs of where the TV cable adjustment should be? Im guessin there is I just will have to find it. Thanks btw

Quick Reply: Help No Speedometer or Overdrive