1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

man with tired cummins seeks advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default man with tired cummins seeks advice

For what I paid for it I really can't complain..I've been a chevy gas motor fanatic my entire life but was always "cummins-curious"..so when I saw my chance to grab this one I took it..I've been pushing snow with it all winter and it's done a fantastic job with that but now it's time to make this 1993 w350 power ram a little nastier...I've been reading up on what to do first and everyone says ..gauges..gauges..gauges..so my first question is what's the best kit for the money and where's the best place to find it?

next question is what should be the next thing I do to this bone stock beauty?..injectors?..which ones?..fuel pin? which one?...drop kick my 21 housing for a 14 or 16? which one?...upgrade my lift pump?..ect?

another big question for you first gen guys...where the heck do you find lift kits/leveling kits for these trucks..I'm going nuts trying to find one for my beast..it's got the typical old heavy 4x4 disease of having the nose right height raked down about 2 to 3 inches lower than the rear..it looks awful to me..I'd like to find at least a 4 inch lift kit but everyone wants a grand for one..does anyone have a used kit they want to part with? or a good source for an affordable solution?

here's ur chance boys..help me diesel bomb this beast..thanks-Bob

Old 02-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 108 Likes on 106 Posts

Not familiar enough with the 1st gen trucks to be of any help there though...

Old 02-19-2010, 07:45 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

welcome to diesel bombers the #1 diesel site out there and this might give you a few ideas https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-r...ing-setup.html

Last edited by ArizonaRedneck; 02-19-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rough country 4 inch lift kits on ebay 400 bucks just get an Hx35 turbo if you want more power but not to crazy s300 turbo also great but a lil pricey ask the sponsors on here for price quotes they will usually hook you up with deals. As for injectors just remember you get what you pay for the fuel pin alot of guys seam to like the denny T stage 2 also look at the sticky for how to turn up ur pump just doing that will be night and day for you 3200 rpm gov spring and a fix kit for the killer death pin good luck man

Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

first start off with the free pump mods in the sticky. but make sure you get gauges first so you dont go too far. no one really makes gauge "kits" per say but the typical setup is:

manual trans: pyro, boost, fuel pressure.
auto trans: pyro, boost, trans temp/ fuel pressure

3200 gov spring is most important at only 20 bucks, and i love my M&h fuel pin.

get a smaller housing for your turbo and go from there. no need to drop big bucks yet.

do all of this and go from there. who knows, you may be MORE than happy with your truck at this point. but like i said start here, and if your not happy then, then you can start talkin big fuel, injectors, turbos etc. but alot of people are happy with the first free/cheap mods

Old 02-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If the truck needs to work leave it stock. I have 3 of these now and 2 don't ever need to work so I go crazy with those. I picked up a 92 that is going to be used as a fuel/ tool support truck and that will remain stock. If you turn up the power and work it then everything behind the engine will give up.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

richie is partly right. if u turn it up too much and try to work it too hard. like tl said, get a pyro and boost gauges. also a trans temp if its an auto. do the free stuff to the pump. i wouldnt even spend the money on a fuel pin till u reset your stock one and see if its not enough. a cheap used turbo exhaust housing off a second gen truck will make all kinds of fun for a while, till u decide what turbo u really want. i cant really help with the lift kit stuff other than tell u if u just want to level it and keep the front up with the plow you cold find a chasis shop to make u some new springs for the front. good luck and ask away. always happy to help

Old 02-20-2010, 08:07 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

All that was said above is just an example of the great advice you will find here. For the best deal on gauges hit up the "request a price quote" section on the front page. I would put up a link but I'm on my phone maybe one of the other guys will put it up for you.. they might also be able to set you up with a lift! Again welcome to the site!

Old 02-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Egauges.com has always had the lowest prices on name brand gauges I could ever find.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts
The following users liked this post:
RSWORDS (02-20-2010)

Quick Reply: man with tired cummins seeks advice