1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Turns on the pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Turns on the pump

Hey guys i did bout 2 turns or lil less on the gen lastnight umm question i dont have gauges and it ran fine idles bout 900 is tht to high for n idle and bout how much power does 2 turns create????

Old 01-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

2 turns is a good place to start. It should give a noticable amount of power; Hp numbers, I don't know. Idle should be 750-800 rpm. But.... GET GAUGES! I know you love that truck, so take it easy till you have a pyro gauge at least.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thnx man ya its my babe but it idles round 900 idk i guess we'll adjust the idle tonight but ya man it feeels more powerful and its puttin out the smoke and ya man i need some guages

Old 01-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my pump is pretty much maxed out and i dont have gauges. its been like that for about two years and i havent burnt it up yet! just dont lug it and youll be fine

Old 01-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

GET GUAGES

Old 01-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tjsmokin
my pump is pretty much maxed out and i dont have gauges. its been like that for about two years and i havent burnt it up yet! just dont lug it and youll be fine

That might be ok for you, but as far as general advice.... no dice. My pump is maxed as well and I can peg my pyro in the blink of an eye if I want to. Anytime I get on it, every hill I go up, my left eye is on my gauges. Aluminum melts at 1220*. I couldn't imagine driving with out gauges, with the things I've done to my truck. IMO, Better Safe Than Sorry.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

After a while you realize that pyros fake and lie like women.

Our injection systems leave a lot to be desired; the fuel they inject doesn't have time to burn in the combustion chamber, and a lot of it burns in the exhaust manifold; that results in high EGT's but the pistons themselves don't get that hot.

You can reduce EGT's 100-200 degrees by advancing your timing, but that makes your pistons more likely to melt. A ton of fuel turning into black smoke can cause higher EGT's but actually cool down the cylinder and make pistons less likely to melt.

Our trucks with stock timing can withstand some crazy EGT's for short distances, even with timing advanced quite some ways you'd be well over 1250 degrees before you get unlucky enough to melt pistons within 15 seconds. A lot of drag and sled setups I've seen peg the pyro after a couple seconds and keep it on the stop until a few seconds after they're done; molten pistons aren't surprising but they're far from common. Meanwhile, common rails are so efficient at burning the fuel they inject, that they can melt pistons at 1300-1400 degree EGT's.

So just because the pyro is telling you that it's not that time of the month doesn't mean you're not going to be paying child support, and just because it's saying that you're doing great doesn't mean it's actually having fun.

Pyros are helpful when towing or going up a hill; you definitely don't want to sustain temperatures above 1200-1300 degrees. But for short bursts these engines are pretty forgiving.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st genny nut
Hey guys i did bout 2 turns or lil less on the gen lastnight umm question i dont have gauges and it ran fine idles bout 900 is tht to high for n idle and bout how much power does 2 turns create????
mine's cranked about 2 turns.. whatever "to the collar" is anyways. with a fuel pin 366 spring and stock timing and highest i hit was 1150 and thats just with the bed loaded with some winter weight. get some gauges.. it's worth it

Old 01-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

just me but.... i am 1 1/2 turns from runaway, 80hp injectors.... read my sig. i can burry my 1600* pyro in the blink of an eye, i hav in fact many times. my truck hasn't blown up yet, because i have guages. it just lets you know when you have to back out of it. and a good pyro is worth the $150 ish. for all you know you could be running your truck at 1500* and never know it. just a cheap insurance pollicy. but thats just me, oh and most other guys.......

Old 01-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With the little H1C - even with a 4" to 5" exhaust - I could hit 1300 in a couple hundred yards...
Now that I've got an HX40 she runs cooler. BUT I can still hit 1300 whenever I want - just takes a little longer.

Quick Reply: Turns on the pump